AMD's opensource lies exposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kjella View Post
    For years the community said "give us specs" and when they did people like you come and say "oh, and write the driver for us too".

"The community said", this phrase is something that keeps coming up when the opensource drivers for ATi cards are under discussion. But I find this sentence rather vague. It reminds me of when politicians go populist and make claims like "The people of this country want...", when a more honest translation would probably be "a subset of the people of this country that I represent want..."

Now back to this "community" thing. Does this community you are talking about have an official spokes-body? Does it issue press releases? If so can you please point to me to any statements of this official community spokes-body regarding opensource ATI drivers. If not then how did this community communicate with you? Perhaps it was some random Joe on the Internet making all sorts of claims? But then it would be more honest to write "random Joe on the Internet said give us the specs we write the drivers".

Anyway I cannot do anything with such a vague concept as "the community", furthermore I have no dealings with whatever community. I have ATI hardware which I paid for and so I expect ATI to write the drivers for this card. I did not buy my card from IKEA.

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      I have ATI hardware which I paid for and so I expect ATI to write the drivers for this card. I did not buy my card from IKEA.
      No you bought a finished product for windows, nothing more, nothing less so why should you expect anything more?

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        "The community said", this phrase is something that keeps coming up when the opensource drivers for ATi cards are under discussion. But I find this sentence rather vague. It reminds me of when politicians go populist and make claims like "The people of this country want...", when a more honest translation would probably be "a subset of the people of this country that I represent want..."

Now back to this "community" thing. Does this community you are talking about have an official spokes-body? Does it issue press releases? If so can you please point to me to any statements of this official community spokes-body regarding opensource ATI drivers. If not then how did this community communicate with you? Perhaps it was some random Joe on the Internet making all sorts of claims? But then it would be more honest to write "random Joe on the Internet said give us the specs we write the drivers".
        Here you go :

Statement i made was pretty much the general feeling in the community which refer here only to Xorg developer community.

Comment

• When you press the link "ATI proprietary Linux FAQ" you get this:

It says amd's catalyst technology is supported under linux here. So amd propagates the same product and support to be present for linux systems. Every linux user using officially supported distributions has the right to demand the same support for their hardware they paid money for as the windows users get. Otherwise this is deceptive advertising.

Comment

• Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
            http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...2&lang=English

When you press the link "ATI proprietary Linux FAQ" you get this:

It says amd's catalyst technology is supported under linux here. So amd propagates the same product and support to be present for linux systems. Every linux user using officially supported distributions has the right to demand the same support for their hardware they paid money for as the windows users get. Otherwise this is deceptive advertising.
            I do run AMDs proprietary drivers under GNU/Linux. I am getting the same level of support as with windows. Or will you blame AMD too for not supporting win98 anymore? or win2k? Because it never said it didn't support them. You should probably blame nvidia for the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
              the point is you can get the spec and pay a dev to build your driver with the spec.
              WTF? Do you think that is what opensource is about? How many times have you hired a developer to do that? How many qualified people would be to code such a driver and how much would you expect to pay?

"And you never paid for FOSS Linux drivers. "

yes I do! just because i buy amd cards after they openup the spec. 4 years ago i had nvidia cards in my pc.
              No you didn't. You paid for a finished product with advertised capabilities and that is what they are selling.

Linux users don't care about marketing linux users only care about hard work.
              Oh and writing closed source isn't hard work?

they release spec's and code thats hard work be sure i give a shit about marketing.
              Doesn't matter if you care about marketing but it is however the basis of what you are buying. You can pound a nail in with a screwdriver but it completely unreasonable to expect that the company has to support or honor any such action. You don't have the right to expect that hiring a carpenter means that he will shovel the snow on your driveway as well. Just because a product has the potential to do something doesn't make it a consumer right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                the only important point is you can! sure if you have the money but you can !
                You can do the same under closed source and there is usually an NDA involved.

opensource/freesoftware does not mean communism and you get all for free without money.
                Of course it doesn't, never said that but it is not about being able to pay someone to write code for you either as that can be done under any model.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  You can do the same under closed source and there is usually an NDA involved.

Of course it doesn't, never said that but it is not about being able to pay someone to write code for you either as that can be done under any model.
                  Perhaps, but it's definitely easier to do with open source systems, and in particular for Linux, easier to have it working with future updates to the kernel, changes in X, or other such systems.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
                    Perhaps, but it's definitely easier to do with open source systems, and in particular for Linux, easier to have it working with future updates to the kernel, changes in X, or other such systems.
                    How does that make it any easier if you are still relying on the same entity that has all the specs in the first place?

Comment

Working...
                    X