No announcement yet.

The Open-Source ATI Driver Is Becoming A Lot Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While the Gallium3D driver may not be as fast as the proprietary driver, it is much better behaved in my opinion, particularly with video. I used to have really bad tearing and other artifacts and have none now with R600g.

I've seen more good things happen with Linux graphics drivers over the last year than the ten preceding years I've used Linux. Hopefully VDPAU will be implemented in the not too distant future.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Nobody lolled at my hypothesis? I am dissapoint
      I didn't laugh, and I have an excellent sense of humour (of course). And it's not the first time somebody complains about something you wrote, by the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by yotambien View Post
        I didn't laugh, and I have an excellent sense of humour (of course). And it's not the first time somebody complains about something you wrote, by the way.
        The were at least three popular (and deadbeat) jokes in there.

Also if you'd pay attention in RL you will find out that people complain about each other time, so it's not a measure I'm going to feel terribly bothered about...

Comment

• Typo=all the time

Also it's the gazzilionth time somebody complaines about the edit time...

Comment

• How to test this

I tried to test this on my own Hardware.

I compiled 2.6.38-rc1 and got rid of fglrx. When I modprobe radeon I get a black screen and a few seconds later machine freezes. Now magic keys work, just hardware reset.
            Maybe this is beacuase of my card. I am using an hd6870.
            Is there any where else described in detail how to try this out ?

Thanks and best regards

Comment

• As far as I know your card should be supported.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

• Originally posted by paines View Post
                I tried to test this on my own Hardware.

I compiled 2.6.38-rc1 and got rid of fglrx. When I modprobe radeon I get a black screen and a few seconds later machine freezes. Now magic keys work, just hardware reset.
                Maybe this is beacuase of my card. I am using an hd6870.
                Is there any where else described in detail how to try this out ?

Also make sure you have the necessary ucode images for your card installed and in your initrd if you are using one.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  The were at least three popular (and deadbeat) jokes in there.

Also if you'd pay attention in RL you will find out that people complain about each other time, so it's not a measure I'm going to feel terribly bothered about...

If you would have talked about Gordie and his secret plan to take over AMD OSS graphics development and move it to a new crack team he has ready in his hidden mountain lair, that would have been funny. You can be the funniest comedian in the world and still go too far with a rip. e.g. Ricky Gervais

Comment

• Originally posted by GDJacobs View Post
                    If you would have talked about Gordie and his secret plan to take over AMD OSS graphics development and move it to a new crack team he has ready in his hidden mountain lair, that would have been funny. You can be the funniest comedian in the world and still go too far with a rip. e.g. Ricky Gervais
                    It's not the first time somebody has complained about Ricky Gervais. And yet I find him funny. Guess not everybody has the same taste. Who'd have thought!

Comment

• I have preserved a link to this post.

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
                      If you do not ban Vincent from this forum forever, I will have no hesitation in contacting your provider, godaddy, and asking them to pull this site.
                      Henceforth, every single post from Vincent in these forums will provide further evidence that gordboy is a troll and a fool.

Comment

Working...
                      X