No announcement yet.

The Open-Source ATI Driver Is Becoming A Lot Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have R370 in my laptop. So really would like to see benchmarks on older hardware.

PS. Was a vsync disabled in catalyst driver in this benchmark? I do not see this information in article. Without vsync disabled it is essentially cheating on mesa side.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      Threading and locking h....
      Very interesting read indeed. I think this MESA multi-threading topic needs more talking and less coding for now. Just to clear things out.

Comment

Do the Catalyst drivers support "swap buffers wait" ?
        If yes then we shouldn't be comparing against Gallium with "No SBW".
        apples to apples

Comment

@elanthis: As an amateur myself I really look forward to a guide/article about that matter as most of the courses I've taken only take up pipelining or that mindset of threading things. But in most cases they don't teach threading at all!
          I've also saved the post for future reading

Comment

What Absolute Rubbish

The benchmarks clearly show all the open source drivers are substantially slower than the proprietary ones, apart from a couple of corner cases.

To say otherwise is dishonest tomfoolery.

When is everyone going to wake up and realise that the radeon devs are jerking everyone off ?

To some, this will come over as trollery. To some it will come over as a stuck record.

Well if the devs actually did what they promised, there could be no complaints. But all we get here is the same tired CRAP time after time: the devs are part-time, the proprietary driver has more resources, blah fscking blah.

A CHILD could do a better job than the buffoons currently driving the development work in the open source ATI arena.

Comment

A CHILD could do a better job than the buffoons currently driving the development work in the open source ATI arena.
              Please do it, then.
              You seem so well suited for the task.

Comment

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
                The benchmarks clearly show all the open source drivers are substantially slower than the proprietary ones, apart from a couple of corner cases.

When is everyone going to wake up and realise that the radeon devs are jerking everyone off ?

To some, this will come over as trollery. To some it will come over as a stuck record.

Well if the devs actually did what they promised, there could be no complaints. But all we get here is the same tired CRAP time after time: the devs are part-time, the proprietary driver has more resources, blah fscking blah.

Nobody said that FOSS drivers are faster than the blobs. But to say that the FOSS devs don't do a good job making radeon good, is a very foolish and ignorant statement. There's clearly an improvement, and it's definitely better than nuoveau. People like you are the reason we can't have nice things!

We should all be thankful that we can watch videos without tearing and play some games on Linux.

Comment

The oss drivers are not that bad, just for lowend chips the performance it not even enough to use google earth smoothly - fglrx was much faster there. A google earth benchmark would be interesting. xv usually works and kde/compiz desktops effects but more...? Desktop users just replace the card for games but what should laptop users do? Use older os with fglrx or buy a new laptop?

Comment

You're trolling, right? Please tell me you are.

Comment

You got what you paid for. Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                      X