A Big Comparison Of The AMD Catalyst, Mesa & Gallium3D Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
    Not to provoke this hornets' nest of personal preference, but couldn't you just install the font they made? I personally use the droid font almost everywhere; it's in my package manager along with a lot of other crappy fonts.
    It's not the font, it's the way fonts are rendered. Apple and M$ holds patents on methods of rendering fonts, and so many distros disable those font rendering algorithms. Canonical doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      The main reason why I *cannot* use Fedora/OpenSUSE is that their font rendering sucks. Ubuntu's font rendering is way better.
      Should add the subpixel repository in opensuse then. They include all the ubuntu patches.

Multimedia codecs, NVidia drivers and more via one click install for the current openSUSE.

Comment

Are these really "Ubuntu patches" or are they the same freetype patches everybody on the planet has been using for years?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Are these really "Ubuntu patches" or are they the same freetype patches everybody on the planet has been using for years?
          Everybody on the planet? Yeah, sure.

Comment

Well, everybody who cared about font rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              as stated above the problem is that you need much more than 4-5 seasoned devs in order to get results.

and again some things don't help in order to have resources shared more efficiently now ie intel doing classic all the others doing gallium

linux (or open source since more people use mesa) graphics needs a dictator i think (similar to torvalds)
              are all the current driver devs employed to work on drivers? if there is anyone currently doing it their spare time, then paying them to do it full time would work.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                mostly not even patches but just a configure option...

Comment

Changes over time

With the resloution and quality settings used you don't see much change over time for the Catalyst driver.
                  How do the Catalyst drivers change the way game code is played ?
                  How much of the original game code is substituted by the so-called driver ?
                  How much of the graphics is done by the CPU instead of the GPU when it's running slow ?

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post
                    are all the current driver devs employed to work on drivers? if there is anyone currently doing it their spare time, then paying them to do it full time would work.
                    As far as Radeon drivers are concerned, Alex, Richard, Dave, and Jerome are paid. The others are volunteers, usually students (like me).

Comment

The drivers don't actually replace any application code, just a couple of system libraries (mostly to implement functionality that the underlying system can't handle yet, eg splitting drawing operations across multiple GPUs).

I don't *think* there are any fallbacks (graphics rendering being done by CPU) in the current driver stack but not 100% sure.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X