No announcement yet.

A Big Comparison Of The AMD Catalyst, Mesa & Gallium3D Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious, just how many gigs would cloning linus' git bring?

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Just curious, just how many gigs would cloning linus' git bring?
      Well if you don't care too much about the history, you could just use `git clone -depth 0` to get the most recent head and only that; shouldn't be appreciably bigger than the unpacked kernel.

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        It would make sense to run a window manager which switches compositing off for full-screen apps.

It's 2011, after all. If compiz can't cut it, use something more sane.
        +1

I'm not using Compiz for two simple reasons:
        1) It's to big a hit on performance
        2) I still haven't seen a good (enough) use for it

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          The binary drivers are also multi-threaded, which helps to hide CPU overhead *if* you have at least 2 cores.

Multithreading mostly helps when drawing is the bottleneck, however, but some of the initial profiling efforts suggest that state changes may be a bigger time sink than drawing right now. Not sure if that has been confirmed though.
          Perhaps a stupid question, but why aren't the FOSS drivers multi-threaded yet? It feels like a shame to me, sitting on an Core i7.

Comment

• Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            Perhaps a stupid question, but why aren't the FOSS drivers multi-threaded yet? It feels like a shame to me, sitting on an Core i7.
            Nevermind, I've now gone through the 19 pages of comments and got my answer very well answered by bridgman

Comment

• Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
              +1

I'm not using Compiz for two simple reasons:
              1) It's to big a hit on performance
              2) I still haven't seen a good (enough) use for it
              1. VSynced rendering (nvidia tears without compiz).
              2. Desktop zoom when trying to read text on your HDTV across your living room.
              3. Shadow decorations to help pick windows apart.
              4. Better performance on fglrx than regular 2d rendering.
              5. The window scale plugin which is like alt-tab on serious overdrive.

Comment

• Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                Here's the basics (not sure this is 100% right, doing this from memory):
                #clone Linus tree:
                git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
                cd linux-2.6
                # check out 2.6.37 on a new branch called my-2.6.37
                git checkout -b my-2.6.37 v2.6.37
                #add Dave's tree:
                git remote add airlied git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6.git
                # fetch the updates from Dave's tree
                git fetch airlied
                # merge drm-next into the current branch
                git pull airlied/drm-next
                The above just hangs at "git fetch airlied". No CPU load and no network activity.

Comment

• you can try 'git fetch --all', but either should work.

Comment

• Marek,

Originally posted by marek View Post
                    r300g has a faster winsys since yesterday (commit).
                    would be possible to integrate the new cs code into libdrm so that also the ddx (and eventually also r600g, and classic radeon, r200, r300 and r600) can benefit from it?

Also is there a plan to merge the floating-point formats from GL_ARB_texture_rg patches?

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      1. VSynced rendering (nvidia tears without compiz).
                      2. Desktop zoom when trying to read text on your HDTV across your living room.
                      3. Shadow decorations to help pick windows apart.
                      4. Better performance on fglrx than regular 2d rendering.
                      5. The window scale plugin which is like alt-tab on serious overdrive.
                      I'm glad that it works so well for you, but to be honest it hasn't really ever been stable for me. Neither with the Catalyst nor the open drivers.

1. Why worry about Nvidia when I'm using ATI? =)
                      2. Hm, not really a use-case for me, but I guess you use it
                      3. I feel like I'm perfectly capable of telling windows apart without shadow decorations
                      4. This is a very good reason. This is actually the reason why I was so excited about "GPU accelerated desktops" in the first place. But now I feel that they should be renamed to "GPU decelerated desktops".
                      5. Sure, it's bling bling, but is it really the most exciting feature? Can't we do more with the technology than this?

I just feel like the "killer feature" hasn't arrived yet, and sadly I don't have a good idea of what it could be either. If I did, I'd try to implement it, or at least communicate it to the community and discuss it.
                      I think a true acceleration is awesome, but it just doesn't seem to get a whole lot better when enabling it. The only difference I see it that the CPU load is severely decreased when frantically moving a window back and forth.

Comment

Working...
                      X