Radeon HD 5850 with Radeon OSS success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr James View Post
    Directly, Ubuntu has done nothing for FOSS or the community as a whole but rather Ubuntu itself. Thier new font which is very nice is called Ubuntu. I'd like to see a Debian user installing a font called Ubuntu...
    Undirectly, Ubuntu has brought people to Linux and this is what will eventually sway things in our favor.

Besides that, I hate Ubuntu - stability and being free of bugs is king with me. They never give you a bug fix but rather hold until the next release which will replace old bugs with shiny new ones.
    So are you using bug-free Debian, Fedora or OpenSuSE (or however they capitalize it these days)? Or are you one of those Gentoo freaks?

@xiando: developing OpenGL drivers is a task that falls as much on Ubuntu/Canonical as it does on you. When was the last time you submitted a patch to mesa?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      So are you using bug-free Debian, Fedora or OpenSuSE (or however they capitalize it these days)? Or are you one of those Gentoo freaks?

@xiando: developing OpenGL drivers is a task that falls as much on Ubuntu/Canonical as it does on you. When was the last time you submitted a patch to mesa?
      Debian Squeeze. About to be declared the new stable release. Debian Stable is just that good. Gentoo people are ricers. They see themselfs as some sort of secret society.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        warzone2100 and nexuiz work well.
        Native Linux games don't count.

Only Amiga, Windows 7 and iPad TouchMe games count, because this is Linux.

Comment

When was the last time he had 30,000,000 in revenue each year from selling Mesa?

Comment

Never, and it would require me to learn a new programming language. I can and do translate text strings and if you are using Norwegian language then you probably see those strings all day long.

Comment

Debian Squeeze. About to be declared the new stable release. Debian Stable is just that good. Gentoo people are ricers. They see themselfs as some sort of secret society.
              what's wrong with Gentoo anyway ?

*subscribes*

I gotta tries this ppa in the near future

until now I had seen a decline of quality of *buntu releases (on the one hand) and on the other hand I was really happy that lots of stuff works better than ever (e.g. out of the box)

but, e.g. take an Upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 - which totally screwed up a system I had to manage so it kept on (hard-)locking on and on

when the proprietary drivers are involved it's still more of a PITA than, e.g. on Windows, Gentoo, or other OSes

call me paranoid but who guarantees that the PPAs are safe - are they maintained by members of Canonical ?

also - bug-management is quite bad in ubuntu - it's understandable when thousands and thousands of noobs post the same error message but they at least should appoint some community members to *nix those duplicate bug-entries ASAP and go to fix bugs ASAP - sometimes it really takes ages - even when it's (potential or real) security usability, etc. issues

anyways: it's good for managing

@FunkyRider:

do the negative, zoom, Expo and Wall plugins work ?

I'd really like to try out Ubuntu for some time and see whether it is able to save me time - this always had failed for me in the past due to needs not being met (e.g. drivers-versions, up-to-date software [specific libraries, etc.], etc. etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                call me paranoid but who guarantees that the PPAs are safe
                call me paranoid but who guarantees that the Arch Linux mirrors are safe with no package signing whatsoever...

Comment

call me paranoid but who guarantees that the Arch Linux mirrors are safe with no package signing whatsoever...
                  that's the reason why I stopped using Arch & besides that some packages were seriously outdated (e.g. fluxbox from 1-2 years ago (!))

but we're getting offtopic here

anyone has experience with the OSS drivers and flash ?

is it fast enough for flash-videos to work (e.g. Youtube)

how is the stability for everyday work and compiz ?

Comment

HD5xxx should be at the same level as HD4xxx now.

I watch youtube all the time. Even fullscreen, no problem.

Of course, if you stream 1080p stuff, you have the same software decoding issues as always.

Other than the annoying KWin crash bug (which has been fixed), I haven't had any stability issues whatsoever, in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      HD5xxx should be at the same level as HD4xxx now.
                      Should be...now.
                      Which means that you got to wait for some time till the drivers hit your distros repo - unless you want to go using something like xorg-edgers (for Ubuntu) which is unstable, untested, buggy and will crash on you.
                      For Ubuntu people, that means wait till they hit Debian sid, get stolen by Ubuntu, slept on for 6 months and then get shiped through a release. You waiting for the next next release, at least, which I believe is code named Orgasmic Octipus. Or was that Horny Hippo?

Comment

Working...
                      X