No announcement yet.

Radeon HD 5850 with Radeon OSS success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You take the high road and I'll take the low road...

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      Want to spend less time working for your computer and more time out with your girlfriend? USE="-gentoo"
      why would I prefer some woman to my computer?

Seriously, it's not as bad as you make it sound. Most people who try gentoo don't get further than the installation, which can take days for a novice. But upgrading software costs CPU time, not my time. I can do it as a background job or I can do it overnight (emerge -uDN world && shutdown -h now), doesn't cost time for me.
      And when I need a custom patch in some package, some inofficial git version or something, gentoo actually makes it easier to get it done in a clean and reliable way, thus saving my time.

Oh, and installation? I haven't reinstalled gentoo in years, even though every bit of hardware changed at some point. cp -a /mnt/oldroot /mnt/newroot, reconfigure & install kernel, reinstall grub, modify /etc/fstab, working system. Change use flags and some configuration files, do system upgrade overnight, done. Even my notebook started out as a clone of my workstation.
      Unless you start from scratch, installing gentoo doesn't take much longer than installing ubuntu. It's just less clicking in a fancy GUI installer and more knowing what you're doing.

Comment

......And I'll get to Ireland before ye...

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          - neither emerge, nor paludis recompile EVERYTHING. They automatically recompile only what is needed to be recompiled. It is also not necessary a foreground process. Its true, that sometimes you need to call revdep to rebuild everything depending upon changed package, and you will be informed to do so. Again with Ubuntu, segfaults were not uncommon.
          It doesnt do reverse dependencies though. And yes come upgrade time, I've gone through dependency hell because of this. revdep-rebuild is flawed. It's advertised as calculating reverse dependencies. But in truth it actually doesnt work right. It scans through all the linking dependencies, and figures out what applications are linked against what libraries and if it finds an application that is linked against a library that has been updated, it'll recompile the application. But sometimes the library needs to be recompiled, not the application that linked against it. This is where revdep-rebuild fails.

Comment

EDIT: About the only thing that is fail safe is emerge -e world. Even then sometimes you have to do it twice to get all the links consistent with the versions that they are linked against.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              But sometimes the library needs to be recompiled, not the application that linked against it.
              EDIT2: Or rather sometimes the library needs to be recompiled and THEN the application needs to be recompiled against it.

Comment

Working...
              X