No announcement yet.

AMD's Hiring Another Open-Source Driver Developer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the numbers are just supposed to be examples then it all looks good, with the caveat that most of the "not yet done" tasks are more expensive than the things which *have* been done. When seemingly complex features "just appear" in the open source stack what you are often seeing is the last step at the end of months of part-time effort.

The only other issue to remember is taxes - I remember seeing another similar effort founder on tax problems but I don't remember what the issue was.

Comment

Originally posted by runeks View Post
      [*]1000 people who agree to donate $10
      $13,37 is a much better price
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

hmm, interesting idea, we wouldn't happen to have someone knowledgeable enough on the subject to expound on any possible tax implications of that plan would we?

from my limited knowledge, if you started it as a non-profit, and managed to get your applications to state and federal government for tax exempt status approved (not sure what that entails) that would exempt the organization from income tax, and sales tax, for all money used for the purpose that the organization was granted tax exempt status for.

employment taxes (and possibly some others) would still have to be payed.

if someone could get that going i think it would be pretty amazing, and i would certainly be interested in becoming a "donator" as it were.

Comment

Originally posted by runeks View Post
          "the implementation, in the open source radeon driver, of OpenGL 4, which performs at minimum 50% the speed of the fglrx-implementation".
          It is technically impossible to have an open source OpenGL 4 driver with the current software patent law. Unless you can buy the patent #6,650,327 (floating-point rasterization and framebuffers) and give it to the open source community, open source drivers will always be stuck with OpenGL 2.1 no matter how many full-time programmers will be paid to work on it.

Comment

"The implementor must be from a country that does not recognize software patents".

Comment

Yeah but distributions would not be able to use it anyway, therefore everybody who wants open source GL 3 or 4 would have to compile a 3D driver from source.

Comment

not neccessarily. legal issues don't seem to have slowed libdvdcss's use down much....

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
                  not neccessarily. legal issues don't seem to have slowed libdvdcss's use down much....
                  Yeah. Yeah they have. If it weren't for legal issues, every single distro would have DVD playback out of the box. They don't.

Comment

Yet every user who wants libdvdcss can get it, there are quite good third-party repos for each big distro.

If an OpenGL4 fork of Mesa would be on a server in a suitable country, I'm quite sure it would get packaged to the said third-party repos.

Comment

You don't have to fork it, just keep all the potentially infringing stuff in a separate branch or a separate library, and push everything else to the master branch.

However, software that doesn't work out of the box for the end user is essentially dead.

Comment

Working...
                      X