AMD's Hiring Another Open-Source Driver Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    You missed the point - x86 is highly documented and works with this.
    AMD and NVIDIA GPU's are scarcely documented(AMD - newest, NVIDIA - all) and there is zero opensource API atm to use them efficiently.
    On x86 you have various compilers and various libraries - all opensource.
    I'd have to concur. The big problem is one of understanding the real issue here.

Of course GPU are a bit different from CPU, yet in near future I would like to offload big part of the code to GPU. No such opensource solution exists. I cannot work with hardware using opensource tools.
    Heh...

1) GPUs aren't a bit different than CPUs. They're quite a bit different right at the moment- Intel tried to make something closer with Larrabee and didn't quite make it. Massively parallel execution, branching comes at a penalty that's probably at least slightly higher than with your typical DSP. Handful of other things differing than that, but I hope you get the idea.

2) No open source solution exists to try to drive this stuff right now because Gallium 3D isn't finished. Once done, you'll have things like OpenCL and RapidMind/Sh to work with that's fully open sourced right down to the metal.

3) Aaand you'd have it wrong about not being able to work in hardware design with open source tools. Quite a few

But there is also chinese Loongson(opensource in closed source government ftw!)
    The Dragon Chip is a MIPS variant that has no VHDL or similar disclosed so you couldn't extend the silicon if you wanted to. And, since it's a MIPS variant, of course you can do everything else but perhaps GPU stuff with it with FOSS tools.

Comment

Thats a bit much to parse. But about market needs anyways, Its a bit more complicated then that. Often times the most successful markets are the ones that have the most demand. Other successful markets can be carved out, but they are fewer and farther between.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        you are just wrong i have high oral skills in 'german' but no one cares at scool and 'Vocational education' in germany they allways only check your writing skill if you have Dyslexia you can shot a bulled into your mouth to the brain.

oral skill and writing skill ARE NOT in the SAME center of the brain.
        It would help alot to just double check the spelling of your words.. Most people can understand what you mean as long as the words are spelled right. My grammar is terrible too. However, you can still install an english spell checker to help you out with words that you dont know. I'm native english speaker, and I have to use a spell checker.

Comment

A spoil chocker is not avails useful if you have dyslexia.

Comment

It's good news to know AMD is hiring some engineers for their driver development team.
            Hope you hire some skilled engineers (we've to beat nVidia's driver quality in the future ).

To Qaridarium:

1- I thought Germany was still one of the best Europe countries in terms of education (they have very good Polytechnic Institutes with very skilled engineers (maybe the best ones from Europe)).

2- Trolling at a subject like this is a disrespect with the staff that tries everyday to develop drivers, and all those people who try hard to make ATI/AMD drivers better.

Cheers

Comment

i totally disagree with you all studies show us that the german education are worst and only based on selection and pullout the bad.

oder countrys do have much better education with less selection and no pulling out the bad.

sweden for exampel beats the german education system every year the last 10 years in a round.

thats because sweden do not pull 2/3 of the people into the garbage after the 4 year in scool sweden have the first 9 years with no discrimination and there is no "fall through/have to repeat a year"

the german system is just worst! thats all!

This is completely off-topic, just an answer to Qaridarium:

Yes, try to have some education, here, in Portugal, where the education level is as good as our Finance Minister (thanks to him and his government, we're going *ahem* to be the next victim of IMF, almost for sure... ).

Oh yeah?! And why Germany is one the leading countries in economic recovery?! In opposite to countries like USA, or PIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Spain)?!
              The answer is quite simple: Your education system (still) works (I think)!

Cheers

Comment

i double check words on google and wikipedia and spellchecker and i ask frend about words.

you don't read my nativ writing i edit and check my writing every time.
                It looks like google, wikipedia, spellchecker, and your friend all missed both "frend" and "nativ" in that post alone. Anyway, I usually don't have trouble reading misspelled words, it's when the whole sentence structure breaks down that things become difficult to understand. That's a lot tougher for a non-native speaker to fix than just spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  A spoil chocker is not avails useful if you have dyslexia.
                  Dyslexia's reading. Dysgraphia's writing. Take a wild guess which I happen to have a mild case thereof...and yet I'm still more coherent and literate than he seems to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    Take a wild guess which I happen to have a mild case thereof...
                    /puts up hand

Texlexia?

Comment

you talk abaout capitalism you think portugals education isn't good because of the less money spend of that.

and next you talk on Capitalism again and about germany is one of the bigest capitalists in the world.

and you are right the education in germany works.

i never make a point about that.

but the true is there are cheaper education systems with higher overall score on all schoolars/studends.

and this breaks your neck! because you are wrong in the point of more money brings better education.

i can give you an simple exampel why: in germany they buy scoolbooks for 250? a year for every schoolar but there are still poor ones with no computer. POOR education systems like CUBA buy Computers not scoolbooks.

and be sure CUBA is very good in education system. (they use linux)
                      But they don't use Linux because it's so well written code. They use it because it fits their politics.

And yes the German school system is terror. You have to learn 3 languages (each 3-4 lessons a week) and each one of them is crucial for passing the grade, but on the technical side you have 1 hour a week for each course (exept math) and only one (math) is crucial for passing the grade.
                      So what you get is: each German engineer must be awesome because they somehow got past school and were able to study something technics related. They did this even though they learned nothing technical beforehand and they also solved language things which are too highly advanced.

Sorry I was a burdened German scholar.

Comment

Working...
                      X