Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Hiring Another Open-Source Driver Developer

Phoronix: AMD's Hiring Another Open-Source Driver Developer

Yesterday we reported that AMD's Catalyst Linux driver team lost another key developer with Piranavan Selvanandan, a senior engineer at ATI since 2003 when Matthew Tippett built-up the original ATI Linux driver team, was leaving. While it's unfortunate to see AMD lose another long-time Linux engineer, it appears they are hiring for both their open and closed-source Linux driver teams...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope Corbin will take on this opportunity and restart working on oss radeon. That would be a huge win!

But after all it does not really matter who will be hired as it will mean better performance and more features. Only this matters.

Comment

Anything less than 40 developers is not very promising, unless we close the eyes direction fps- or any nonstatical gaming and any same-day hardware support.

Im using opensource drivers and bought amd system exactly for the purpose of supporting amd opensource policy, yet I see no opensource driver counter or any kind of "register the card as opensource only" program on amd site.

Amounts of proprietary around gfx card API amaze me. I imagine x86 assembler being that proprietary, linux won't be able to start at all.

Still 1 developer more is golden.

Comment

@Qaridarium: Thumbs up!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          @Qaridarium: Thumbs up!
          No, it should be thumbs down for that garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
            Amounts of proprietary around gfx card API amaze me. I imagine x86 assembler being that proprietary, linux won't be able to start at all.
            Eh, x86 is about as proprietary as you can get. Intel allows exactly two companies, beside itself, to create x86 microprocessors: AMD and Via. Noone else can.

Compare with ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
              I hope Corbin will take on this opportunity and restart working on oss radeon. That would be a huge win!

But after all it does not really matter who will be hired as it will mean better performance and more features. Only this matters.
              I've been taking a break from drivers and doing easy userspace stuff. I have a few drivers to work on during break, though.

As much as I'd love to take a job from AMD, I'm still in school and working hard on finishing my degree. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                i read the ad for the dev and i think this is a fake:
                It's not a fake.

first of all : "Canada" no there is no internet and homeworking in this world LOL
                HR probably put that one in there. They do remote employees if they're proven people or knowns... I worked with one of them- you might know of him as one of the authors of the OpenGL SuperBible. (In fact, I worked with two of the authors a while back...)

second fake: "development based on [...]Marketing requirements"
                means they just dev an bigger animated amd Logo
                Uh...development would be based on marketing requirements for a GPU card... Engineering would have major inputs on what those were in a sane company (and in AMD, there's inputs...trust me...) but if there's no market need for something and you can't make one- why do it? HR states this fluff because they're sort of required to disclose this sort of junk.

also "highly motivated, self-starter" means you need more Cocain and self starter means no one helps you.
                Heh... That's not wholly true- but you're expected to be a quick learner. You know, each and every role I've ever held down had that as a requirement- and I never had to snort lines or shoot up coke and I always seemed to have at least SOME help. You might want to re-think your premise there, Qaridarium.

"WinDbg" really no linux dev should use a "Driver Developer Resources: Debugging Tools for Windows"
                1) This was HR posting this. I know for positive they don't know Linux versus Windows and they're spouting buzzwords and don't understand that the Windows side requirements are slightly differing from the Linux side.

2) You actually and perversely need some Windows skills as well as some Linux ones to figure out some bugs (By comparing what the Windows driver does versus the Linux one... Just because the code-core's the same, not all paths are used, not all OS specific shims will work the code core the same way, etc...). You could do without that, yes- but if you want to replicate behavior on the Windows side, it'd help a bunch to be able to do that. <*waves hand*>

really if the new opensource guy are highskilled in WINDOWS debugging then linux will go worst because of that braindeath guy
                Really? So...I'm braindead, am I? Niice... :P

"Experience with Kernel mode driver programming under MS Windows"

hell NO i can not believe this shit who write that shit ?
                Heh... You're pretty clueless at this, aren't you? Code that was written for Windows in mind (regardless of the "common" and "portable" codebase that it might be, it was written against Windows first and foremost. It has design decisions that were motivated by that OS and it's kernel and while they might be portable, they may also be a problem performance or integration-wise on the MacOS or Linux side. If you're writing it just for Linux, you can get away with just knowledge of the Linux kernel. If you're making a cross-platform driver, you'd damned well better at least marginally understand at least one or more of the other target OSes before you lay hands on the code.

"* Strong oral [..] skill"

you can be the world best hacker without oral skill but yes amd wana hire people with bullshit Factor
                Actually, if you're working with the varying teams within the OpenGL and Direct3D group, as you would if you had this job, you'd need good verbal and written skills. Especially if you're working with the German team. Clarity in expression of thought is kind of crucial- especially when you're talking about the complex task the job entails.

hell brigdman himfeld never use any oral skill in this forum.

means bridgman can be totally retarded in oral skill and now one care.

oral skill just means you need to be good in talking bullshit because they want to.
                Uh... No. And more to the point, he's used his oral skills in here often. As have I. You, on the other hand, have posted some pretty lame things (this rant being one of them...) that's pretty incoherent. But then...if you've not got the skills in question, it might be hard to spot it in others...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Uh... No. And more to the point, he's used his oral skills in here often. As have I. You, on the other hand, have posted some pretty lame things (this rant being one of them...) that's pretty incoherent. But then...if you've not got the skills in question, it might be hard to spot it in others...
                  Actually nobody here has ever used their "oral skills" in the forum, writing skills for sure but not "oral skills".

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Actually nobody here has ever used their "oral skills" in the forum, writing skills for sure but not "oral skills".
                    I retract that statement, sometimes use Talking Moose in OS X to read back Q's posts.

Comment

Working...
                    X