No announcement yet.

kwin discontinued ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s3tc *should* work with r300g if you install libtxc-dxtn, but only in 32 bits, and it's a shady legal situation.

It does not work at all on r600c/g.

The short answer is that open drivers are not allowed to support this stuff although they could trivially implement it.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      s3tc *should* work with r300g if you install libtxc-dxtn, but only in 32 bits, and it's a shady legal situation.

It does not work at all on r600c/g.

The short answer is that open drivers are not allowed to support this stuff although they could trivially implement it.
      Does anyone have a link to the source for libtxc-dxtn? I think I might be able to help here, but every link so far seems to be dead.

Additionally, wasn't there a discussion on a S3TC "passthrough" implementation, where compressed textures are uploaded directly (and legally) to the hardware and online compression is allowed to fail? IIRC, this should be conforming to the OpenGL spec.

Comment

KDE is totally unusable on ati for me, with oss and fglrx. Its just so laggy and unresponsive, while gnome is fine. (ati hd2600)

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          We are working to improve the performance of the open source driver, but at the moment we can't match fglrx.
          One thing that stands out with fglrx driver is that the performance hit going from 720p to 1080p is very small (10%):

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On the other hand, r600g performance hit is as large as 40% going from 720p to 1080p (it's understandable because 1080p screen has twice as much pixel as 720p). I'm curious to know if fglrx uses different optimization at 1080p resolution.

Comment

The proprietary driver shares code across OSes, so it's highly optimized compared to the open source driver. For example, tiled surfaces help a lot if the code is doing a lot of texture lookups, especially on cards with more limited memory bandwidth. Some of the low hanging optimizations for the open source drivers for 6xx+ hardware:
            - pageflipping (will show up in 2.6.38)
            - tiling (initial render buffers implemented already, advanced tiling modes and texture tiling needs some minor changes to the ddx and r600g and requires kernel 2.6.37)
            - fast clears
            - hyperz
            - optimizing constant buffer updates

Comment

That sounds like there are many optimisations coming our way!

Do you mean that texture tiling is coming with 2.6.37?

w00t w00t!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                Does anyone have a link to the source for libtxc-dxtn? I think I might be able to help here, but every link so far seems to be dead.
                Try this:

And some comments here:

It'd be great if you can help with it.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  - pageflipping (will show up in 2.6.38)
                  - tiling (initial render buffers implemented already, advanced tiling modes and texture tiling needs some minor changes to the ddx and r600g and requires kernel 2.6.37)
                  - fast clears
                  - hyperz
                  - optimizing constant buffer updates
                  I'm on 2.6.37-rc5 right now, with latest mesa git. How can I try this texture tiling you mentioned? I'd be happy to test and file bugs.

BTW, I tried the pageflipping patches. It actually slows down XBMC main menu from 30fps (pageflipping off) to 15fps (pageflipping on), so I disabled it and reverted back all the patches (kernel and x86-video-ati).

Thanks.

Comment

well that was my question exactly; i thought i had read somewhere that libtxc-dxtn was no longer necessary for r300c, or something. i thought that maybe that was why the link was dead.

i have 32 bit btw, so it's no issue. if i could only get my hands on that lib, so i could try it ........

Comment

Originally posted by ntt2010 View Post
                      Oh, someone mirrored it on fd.o. Great, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X