No announcement yet.

Open-Source AMD Fusion Driver For Ontario Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to be clear, I haven't said that we *can't* provide open source driver support for UVD, just that we hadn't looked at it yet (and didn't plan to until we got caught up with 2D/3D/Xv on all GPU families) and that you should *assume* there will not be open source support unless/until we say otherwise (ie don't buy the parts on the assumption that open source UVD support will appear).
    Test signature

Comment

Right... and you're pretty close to caught up now, aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Just to be clear, I haven't said that we *can't* provide open source driver support for UVD, just that we hadn't looked at it yet (and didn't plan to until we got caught up with 2D/3D/Xv on all GPU families) and that you should *assume* there will not be open source support unless/until we say otherwise (ie don't buy the parts on the assumption that open source UVD support will appear).
        Hey, how 'bout hiring me to do it....?
        I have 2 applicable degrees, some unrelated work experience, a real estate license, and I live 2 minutes from where you work...

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Right... and you're pretty close to caught up now, aren't you?
          Yep, and we kicked off the investigation a couple of weeks ago.
          Test signature

Comment

Cool

Comment

dancing in front of my notebook

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                why? this only means they faster check out thats its imposible without hurt the DRM and then they drop it.
                Attempted Translation: Why be happy about this news? They will likely soon discover that they cannot open UVD due to copy-protection concerns and will then officially announce UVD support is never coming to the Free drivers.

I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  why? this only means they faster check out thats its imposible without hurt the DRM and then they drop it.
                  Go back a few posts and read what I wrote about crystalhd. It may very well be the case that broadcom has already taken the risk for them.... or maybe even already jeopardized AMD DRM... or proven that its ok. In any case, they've blazed the trail, so it might not be all that hard now.

Comment

Where is the source available?

I've been hunting on AMD web site and the web but can't find the source.

Does anyone have a URL for this Ontario driver?

Thanks!

Comment

It's an open source driver, so you need to look in the upstream projects.

Kernel code is in the radeon-testing branch of airlied's drm tree : http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...radeon-testing

Mesa and ddx code is in the respective freedesktop.org projects (mesa/mesa and xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati).

Do you actually have Ontario hardware ?
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X