• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Benchmarks Of AMD's Newest Gallium3D Driver

Benchmarks Of AMD's Newest Gallium3D Driver

Phoronix: Benchmarks Of AMD's Newest Gallium3D Driver

While we have already published two exciting articles today looking at the native ZFS file-system for Linux and also new benchmarks of OpenSolaris / BSD / Linux, here's a third article for the day. We might as well test our new Phoronix serving infrastructure while already having excess load today due to Slashdot, etc (it's good practice for OpenBenchmarking.org), so here are benchmarks of AMD's newest Gallium3D driver compared to their classic open-source Mesa driver and also their proprietary Catalyst driver. Oh yeah, a fourth article is also in the queue for today or the very near future when AMD has a major Linux driver announcement to share.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15481

• c0un7d0wn
    replied
    dynpm doesn't work that well for me either with mobility 5830. I get screen blackouts when clocking and it doesn't go as low as on windows.

On windows the driver lowers engine to 100 and mem to 200 when there's no activity.

On linux it just lowers the engine clock to 400 from 500 and memory stays at 800. So i have to manually set it to low profile to get 100/200.

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    bwat47, have you tried the profiles ? The "mid" profile seems to give a pretty good compromise between power and performance.
    Hmm there doesn't even seem to be a "mid" profile for my card. only default, low, auto, high. I am using xorg-edgers, r600g, and 2.6.37 kernel.

echoing mid does nothing, echoing default, low, high all work.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Any plans on when power can be controlled without having debug features in the kernel?

Leave a comment:

• Azultra
    replied
    I also have annoying flickering when dynpm is enabled on kubuntu maverick, xorg-edgers and a 2.6.37-rc5 kernel on my laptop with a HD 5650 Mobility. It only happens when I do something, when it's reclocking maybe?

Leave a comment:

• Melcar
    replied
    Profiles is the only viable option for me, since dynpm still causes my laptop (RS480) to freeze.

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    I did try the profiles but they made stuff like scrolling in firefox laggy for me, but granted this was a while ago before a lot of the recent optimizations and scrolling has gotten a lot better so I should probably try it again. Dynamic would definitely be ideal though.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    bwat47, have you tried the profiles ? The "mid" profile seems to give a pretty good compromise between power and performance.

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    Originally posted by yotambien View Post
    I still get flickering with dynpm on R300 hardware with 2.6.37 and everything else from git. Maybe less, yes, but still annoyingly enough as to not activate it.
    Same here with my hd2600, and the power management doesn't even seem to bring temps down much yet, so right now I have to stick with fglrx so I don't burn my house down.

Leave a comment:

• yotambien
    replied
    This is a funny one. Actually, the screen flickering I mentioned when doing stuff on the terminal only happens when using Yakuake, which is the terminal I use for mundane things. When using urxvt or xterm everything is normal.

???

Leave a comment:

Working...
X