No announcement yet.

AMD Already Has Open-Source Fusion Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gain presence on Fusion operating systems.
    Surely you meant to say "gain presence on Fusion hardware"--unless there is a Fusion operating system I was unaware of.

Comment

I really can't wait to hear if these drivers support Gallium3D, and to what degree.

Comment

I don't think we have tried the Ontario parts with the Gallium3D driver but it should pretty much work the same as any other Evergreen part once the changes are ported across from r600 to r600g.
        Test signature

Comment

Considering both AMD and Intel have FOSS drivers, but Intel actually has plans for dedicated unit hw video accel (while AMD has plans not to)..

It's of course theoretical until either happens, IIRC Intel doesn't have vaapi support for the Atom gpu yet.

@bridgman: are the 80 shaders enough for high-level H.264? For the supposed shader accel.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            @bridgman: are the 80 shaders enough for high-level H.264? For the supposed shader accel.
            The low end parts are running the GPU shaders at half the speed of the higher end model that everyone has been testing so far. I'd say there's no way that one has enough power, although the full speed parts might.

UVD support is looking like the major missing puzzle piece from AMD right now. I don't see how they expect to contend with Ion without it, since these CPUs are exactly the ones which would benefit the most - although maybe they just view the Linux HTPC market as too small to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              UVD support is looking like the major missing puzzle piece from AMD right now. I don't see how they expect to contend with Ion without it, since these CPUs are exactly the ones which would benefit the most - although maybe they just view the Linux HTPC market as too small to worry about.
              Supporting both MeeGo and the "Vision" brand without a correct and decent driver for HW video decoding is not going to be very appealing among users and possible clustomers. That's a sure thing... What a deception.

BTW, ION is a dead end. Who wants a 18W GPU where you can get AMD or Intel CPU+GPU solution within the same thermal enveloppe? Besides, the Intel Ironlake performance is on par with ION. Likewise for the Fusion parts, I'd guess.

Comment

Interesting... On the AMD Fusion website it shows that Fuseion has a UVD?

Spoken language != writen language. The written language is standardized, but greatly influenced by the spoken language, which is defined by the times

Language standardization is never done/completed. It's a continues process.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Considering both AMD and Intel have FOSS drivers, but Intel actually has plans for dedicated unit hw video accel (while AMD has plans not to)..

It's of course theoretical until either happens, IIRC Intel doesn't have vaapi support for the Atom gpu yet.
                  That all depends on what you're referring to when you talk about intel gpus.... you referring to intel atom, how about intel atom Z -- your statements about intel are reversed with respect to atom Z, which does NOT have open source driver, but DOES have vaapi.

Comment

I'm thinking of the Intel-designed gpus. After all, the Ontario is not competing against Atom Z.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      Interesting... On the AMD Fusion website it shows that Fuseion has a UVD?
                      It has UVD3, the same version that the new 6xxx series has. The problem is that they don't support using it under Linux, even with their proprietary fglrx driver. Especially not with the OSS ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X