Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Crap! You Can Use XvMC With ATI Gallium3D!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    I think the point is that once you know how to implement shader-assisted decode for one API and format then implementing it for another API or format is much less daunting.

Leave a comment:

• chrisr
    replied
    But it's a start...!

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't XvMC only accelerate mpeg2?
    No, that's right. We are only closing the stable door after the horse has not only bolted, but settled down, raised foals and then died gracefully of old age. However, some of us have waited a very long time for the Open Source Radeon drivers to being implementing video acceleration. And it has finally begun... .

Leave a comment:

• _txf_
    replied
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't XvMC only accelerate mpeg2?

As in one of the formats least needing acceleration?

I understand, that it can be done and it was fairly quickly implemented, but I don't get why people are rejoicing over this. Vdpau or Va-api yes, but this?

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Heh... and just today I ordered a broadcom bcm970015 video decoder for my new (also ordered today) ITX-sempron-Radeon4200 htpc.... at this rate, it'll be able to handle high bitrate h264 split between the unlocked dual-core sempron 140 --> athlon2-X2-215 and the RHD4200....

I wonder if my laptop has a mini-PCIe slot...? Hmm... yep. It would appear that it does. Good, at least I'll get some value out of it.

Leave a comment:

• pejakm
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisr View Post
    Doesn't Gallium mean that a lot of the code written for r600g will be useful to r300g automatically? So once XvMC works for r600g then implementing for r300g would be relatively easy.
    I sure hope so.

Leave a comment:

• chrisr
    replied
    Isn't that the point of the Gallium architecture?

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
    I'm wondering if there is (or will ever be) this kind support for R500 cards?
    Doesn't Gallium mean that a lot of the code written for r600g will be useful to r300g automatically? So once XvMC works for r600g then implementing for r300g would be relatively easy.

Leave a comment:

• 69acid69
    replied
    Originally posted by hobbes View Post
    This is great news indeed!

I own a X1600pro (AGP) that for sure can handle XvMC and accelerate H.264 (720p) content.

Yeah, me too!

Leave a comment:

• HokTar
    replied
    Keep up the good work guys!

*Can't wait for h264 support! *

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    This is great news indeed!

I own a X1600pro (AGP) that for sure can handle XvMC and accelerate H.264 (720p) content.

Leave a comment:

• Chewi
    replied
    Niiiice!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X