No announcement yet.

Well, There's No Radeon HD 6000 Open-Source Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD's Ontario is their netbook APU chip while Zacate is their desktop APU counterpart.

Are there any serious differences in the graphics cores of Ontario, Zacate and Llano?

Comment

Ontario and Zacate are very similar. Llano is totally different :

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-n...-new-x86-cores
      Test signature

Comment

Sorry, just noticed you were talking about graphics cores, I saw "core" and thought "CPU".

We are not talking about the graphics yet AFAIK so you're stuck with gossip & rumour.
        Test signature

Comment

I just built a new desktop system with following components:

core i7-930 cpu
          6GB ram
          p6x58d motherboard
          and
          radeon HD6870

The radeon graphics is the biggest mistake I ever made.. my first ati/amd card ever and it sucks. WHY did I not get nvidia? Because the reviews I read compared performance and value for money, not linux support . I got it working with the latest FGLRX and got rid of the "unsupported" logo but performance is still crap and there is an odd flickering fade in / out effect when opening a window or loggin in. Also youtube or other videos won't play full screen (just locks up).

The biggest disappointment has been the lack of open source drivers though.

What a pile of crap wheras nvidia would have worked out of the box and I could have used the pure community developed nouveau driver if I wanted.

/mr

Comment

I wonder why people are making such a fuss out of support for a new card when support for old cards are not even close to done. Why get a new card when your old card is not even supported?

Comment

Originally posted by mrintegrity View Post
              What a pile of crap wheras nvidia would have worked out of the box and I could have used the pure community developed nouveau driver if I wanted.
              Nouveau on last generation hardware? Hardly.

Seriously, you didn't even check if the stuff you're buying is supported?

Comment

Should have known that that post would cause an angry comment or two. I checked to see if there was support and found that it was possible to install the current latest fglrx even though the support is not official and that it should work. Also, my comment about Nouveau was more in regard to the fact that its a real community project and not just a half assed effort by the manufacturer.

Anyway, I'm just spouting off due the last few hours frustration trying to get it working well.

/mr

Comment

I should also say that ati got a lot of respect from me for releasing gpu specs a while back.. do they still do that?

Comment

Originally posted by mrintegrity View Post
                    Should have known that that post would cause an angry comment or two. I checked to see if there was support and found that it was possible to install the current latest fglrx even though the support is not official and that it should work. Also, my comment about Nouveau was more in regard to the fact that its a real community project and not just a half assed effort by the manufacturer.
                    This is a bit unfair.

AMD provides docs and the basic initial implementation. From that point, it is taken over by the community and developed further. There are more community developers working on the AMD drivers than AMD-sponsored developers.

Nouveau is a completely community-based project only because Nvidia is boycotting them, and the entire open source community.

I should also say that ati got a lot of respect from me for releasing gpu specs a while back.. do they still do that?
                    Yes, but as far as I understand, the focus has shifted from releasing docs first, writing drivers second, to writing initial drivers, then releasing the docs.

For the HD6xxx generation, not much has been released. It is close enough to r600/700, though, AFAIK.

Comment

Right. We documented 6xx/7xx together since their programming was relatively similar, and plan to do the same for Evergreen/NI.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X