Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    @PsynoKhi0

It is not normal that you have to patch a NEW driver when a final kernel was out before and rc stage of that kernel was several month long. There was more than enough time for AMD to add support for it. Nvidia has .36 support down to 173.xx directly - well i had to patch 96.xx there too.
    Does any of the supported distros as per the release notes support .36?

Compatible Operating Systems
    The latest version of the AMD Catalyst software suite for Linux is compatible with the
    following Linux distributions:
    Red Hat? Enterprise Linux suite
    Novell/SuSE? product suite
    Ubuntu?

Note: The AMD Catalyst software suite for Linux may install on a
    number of other Linux distributions. Refer to the Package Generation
    installation instructions for more information.

Note: AMD contributed packaging scripts to help the creation of
    other packages, but does not test or verify these. Currently Red Hat
    Enterprise Linux suite and Novell/SuSE product suite support Linux
    distributions. Please contact Red Hat and Novell/SuSE directly with
    questions regarding their available support.
    Written black on white in the release notes...

I wouldn't call lack of out-of-the-box support for .36 "not normal", it simply comes down to different policies. Else Nouveau is not normal

Back to the drivers:
    The issue with garbled text I was having in Guild Wars has been apparently fixed (guess it was the same thing as with Steam games), however performance seems to fluctuate a lot. I mean FPS are having a rollercoaster ride for no apparent reason, and the game isn't fluid, as if randomly throttled.

Vsync is off both in the control centre and in the game's controls.
    Tried Catalyst AI on and off, and deleting the amdpcsdb file.
    Wine is the stock 1.2 version shipping with openSUSE 11.3
    Setting UseGLSL to enabled helps a bit to stabilize the FPS count, but they're stuck at the minimum
    Other registry keys had little impact.

Native 3D apps work great though.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comment

So still broken suspend/resume, broken XvBA, no kernel 2.6.36 support? I guess there's no point upgrading from the version in the Ubuntu Maverick repo then that at least does have the required patches to work with kernel 2.6.36.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
        however performance seems to fluctuate a lot. I mean FPS are having a rollercoaster ride for no apparent reason, and the game isn't fluid, as if randomly throttled.
        Might have been temporary, no problem today, go figure...

Comment

Direct2D still doesn't get enabled (same problem as with 10.9, "sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,Direct2DAccel,TRUE" doesn't work, the logs still say "ATI 2D Acceleration Architecture disabled, using XAA") and now my colors are weird. Huh. Anybody know something? I have a 5870.

Comment

Originally posted by mudig View Post
            and now my colors are weird.
            The whole display suddenly has a greenish tint, to be specific.

Comment

Originally posted by mudig View Post
              Direct2D still doesn't get enabled (same problem as with 10.9, "sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,Direct2DAccel,TRUE" doesn't work, the logs still say "ATI 2D Acceleration Architecture disabled, using XAA") and now my colors are weird. Huh. Anybody know something? I have a 5870.
              The Direct2DAccel attribute was a very temporary one, supported only for testing (and before we finalized the name ). There is a ForceXAA attribute used now which you may have turned on at some point in the past.

Try
              aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,FALSE
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                The Direct2DAccel attribute was a very temporary one, supported only for testing (and before we finalized the name ). There is a ForceXAA attribute used now which you may have turned on at some point in the past.

Try
                Thanks! Did that while X was down like you suggested somewhere else and now it works. Do you know anything about the color-tinting? I've played around with the color temperature slider but can't find a sweet spot.. and checking "use what the display tells you to" gives a massive green tint. Can't remember fglrx doing that before.

Comment

Working...
                X