Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series Graphics Cards On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series Graphics Cards On Linux?

Phoronix: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series Graphics Cards On Linux?

This evening AMD has officially launched their Radeon HD 6800 series, which currently includes the Radeon HD 6850 and Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards. These are just two of several next-generation graphics cards to be launched over the coming weeks and months for consumers while next year the FirePro derivatives for professional/workstation customers should come around too based upon this architecture. How though does the AMD Radeon HD 6000 series play with Linux?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another awesome paper launch! C'mon Dirk, quit insulting our intelligence...

Comment

I have a 6870 installed in my machine right now. I've been busy with other projects though, so I haven't had a chance to figure out Linux support. However, from this article it would appear that the current binary blob handles it just fine.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I have been very impressed with the performance of this card in Windows. I was using a GTX 460 before, and this is at least as powerful but barely audible.

Comment

Gtx 470

Hi yall,

and especially hello, to those "managers" @ ATI/AMD, who starve the bejesus out of the devs doing the code work for FGLRX. Yep, I'm talking about the issue of crap video playback. Guys, it has only been eight years since you supported Linux and still we wait.

Fail.

Corporate astro-turfing is nice, but it does not speed up my video play back....

"But we are working on it!" Yeah, heard it before. Vapordrivers. When real world users tell me it works, then you will have my interest.

GTX 470 here I come, when the price drops hereabouts.

GreekGeek.

Comment

@bridgman, if you're listening:

I see that AMD has released a new version of UVD (3). Can you tell us if there's been any changes made to make OSS support more likely? Like a hardware redesign that makes it more secure and would allow specs to be released. Or will it be just like the previous versions?

Also, reviews are saying that the card is a very incremental jump from the evergreen architecture. Can you confirm that the drivers will be fairly easily built on top of existing evergreen support? Or if there is some substantial changes like EG had? Any chance of getting some basic 3D desktop functionality by the March/April timeframe, or is it too soon to know anything like that?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            Another awesome paper launch! C'mon Dirk, quit insulting our intelligence...
            <?((((((<(

Comment

Originally posted by jokeyrhyme View Post
              I have a 6870 installed in my machine right now. I've been busy with other projects though, so I haven't had a chance to figure out Linux support. However, from this article it would appear that the current binary blob handles it just fine.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I have been very impressed with the performance of this card in Windows. I was using a GTX 460 before, and this is at least as powerful but barely audible.
              LOL I have a 6970 installed on my machine...

Comment

Seems like these cards are murdering anything else offered so far

Can it tame Unigene Heaven? Love to some benchmarking Michael ^^,

Oh and 1GB framebuffer?! Holy shit! What can you do with that? Eagle Eye Finity?

Comment

According to reviews on other sites, Unigine Heaven in OpenGL 4.0 mode runs not very well on 6800 series. (That is on Windows, but still...)

Btw. the 6850 sells for only 150? here. Very tempting...

Comment

The lack of open source driver support is the reason I'm likely to buy a 5770 instead of a 6850.

Comment

Working...
                    X