No announcement yet.

total ATI driver confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I downloaded the 10.10 beta Catalsit drivers.
    Unpacked the rar file, and then made a mistake.

I typed in the console sh ./ati-driver-installer-10-9-x86.x86_64.run

I should have typed: sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.783_RC1-x86.x86_64.run

BUT !

Black box in Firefox is gone, and I can again switch with ctrl alt F5 and F7 between my desktop and the command line.

So I am very happy, but I do not understand why now the 10.9 is working.

Or could it be that the ati installer saved me, and updated the driver to 10.10 ?

In the Catalist control center they are called 10.8
    version 8.762-100803a-103698C-ATI

One thing I know for sure, I never installed a 10.8 driver.

Comment

Well if you got it working with the closed source drivers, I'd say don't mess with it.

I use the open source drivers on a 5850 w/2.6.36-rc7 kernel and the rest from xorg-edgers and it is not stable. The desktop got random crashes every 1-2 hours for no reason, glxgears runs but if I resize the window it goes boom every time and a few WINE games I tried lasted less than 5 seconds before it all went boom.

At least I have figured out to build and install the driver from git, now I'm just trying to wrap my head around how the driver works to start messing with it. Not the most obvious thing in the world...

Comment

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
        a 5850 w/2.6.36-rc7 kernel
        Someone told me you need drm-radeon-testing for stability with Evergreen.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I use the open source drivers on a 5850 w/2.6.36-rc7 kernel and the rest from xorg-edgers and it is not stable. The desktop got random crashes every 1-2 hours for no reason, glxgears runs but if I resize the window it goes boom every time and a few WINE games I tried lasted less than 5 seconds before it all went boom.
          Fix available:

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            every bug you posted here is outdated an catalyst 10-10 do not show this kind of bugs... there is no blackbox/windows bug and there is no strg+alt+f1 and back to x bug

you just telling old storrys...

there are valid bugs for exampel worst worst flash performance on 64bit flash because the catalyst do not speed up this kind of stuff right the radeon do have much more performance in flash and without flickering by wite stripes like the catalyst do..
            Right because 10.10 is totally officially released, so any bugs in 10.9 are completely invalid because there can't possibly be anyone still using 10.9.
            I use Fedora which doesn't have an in-repository unreleased version of fglrx that I know about. I'm using 10.9 which is still the latest official version regardless of the availability of the current leaked 10.10.
            And no, I'd rather use the RPM Fusion package rather than try to figure out fglrx's voodoo installer.

And just from looking at the changelog they fixed the Xinerama corruption, but I didn't see anything else about Xinerama which is a total trainwreck from what I've seen.

Sidenote: I love how fglrx overwrites your xorg.conf if it doesn't like it. It makes tweaking it so much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              Nice. What's the easiest way to see if this has gone into the xorg-edgers repo? Currently I use:

xserver-xorg-video-ati/lucid uptodate 1:6.13.99+git20101012.0d1f9fd0-0ubuntu0sarvatt~lucid

I do know how to compile from git but changes happen so rapidly I normally change it back to use the repo unless I'm fiddling with it.

Comment

Nice. What's the easiest way to see if this has gone into the xorg-edgers repo? Currently I use:

xserver-xorg-video-ati/lucid uptodate 1:6.13.99+git20101012.0d1f9fd0-0ubuntu0sarvatt~lucid

I do know how to compile from git but changes happen so rapidly I normally change it back to use the repo unless I'm fiddling with it.
                This was a kernel fix, so it is not targeted by the xorg-edgers PPA. There is a kernel in the PPA, but its purpose is to provide headers for building the other packages.

The daily builds in the Mainline Kernel PPA will have the fix as soon as it lands on the main kernel tree. There are also drm-next builds but they do not seem to be daily. The directories have a COMMIT file to identify from which commit they are built, so you can check if it is before or after the fix in question.

But come on, if you are testing latest stuff and hanging out here, why are you using 10.04? In this context, 10.04 is obsolete stuff, please use 10.10 as a base...

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                  But come on, if you are testing latest stuff and hanging out here, why are you using 10.04? In this context, 10.04 is obsolete stuff, please use 10.10 as a base...
                  Because as it is, I can switch back to unaccelerated mode and have a perfectly working desktop as long as I don't try anything graphics intense when I need that. Particularly the Ubuntu LTS+1 releases have been bad, so I'll wait for natty to upgrade everything. I probably could install a completely separate system for testing, but as long as I've upgraded the kernel and the X stack I figured that would be enough.

Comment

Because as it is, I can switch back to unaccelerated mode and have a perfectly working desktop as long as I don't try anything graphics intense when I need that. Particularly the Ubuntu LTS+1 releases have been bad, so I'll wait for natty to upgrade everything. I probably could install a completely separate system for testing, but as long as I've upgraded the kernel and the X stack I figured that would be enough.
                    What is a good or bad release seems to be individual and depends strongly on your hardware I guess. My experience with 10.10 so far is really good. Seems like they did not push too much changes so it is rather polished. The xorg stack is very up to date.

Anyway, I can understand your reasons for staying on LTS. I use mostly LTS at work, so I can focus on what runs on top of the OS And I am guilty of some nice Frankenstein OS+kernel+xorg combinations as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      will this patch be in the rc8 kernel of the 2.6.36? or in an bugfix release for an 2.6.35 kernel ??
                      Yes:

I'd like to get something into 2.6.35 stable as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X