• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by movieman View Post
    So calling it 'mediocre' is bizarre.
    That was with respect to ALL non-server processors, not just laptop chips. In terms of desktop chips, *ANY* mobile CPU is CRAP. I don't care what brand or model.

In other words, the VERY FASTEST mobile chip (which it isn't, BTW) would be considered faster than all other mobile chips, but slower than all desktop chips.... which puts it right about in the very middle -- also known as AVERAGE or MEDIOCRE.

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    It is not that clear that i5 is ALWAYS a dual. It is a bit more complicated. The

i5-7xx are quad cores without ht but with turbo boost but WITHOUT gfx core.

the other i5 are dual core with ht and turbo boost and gfx core and

i3 is always dual core with ht but WITHOUT turbo boot and gfx core.

i7 is always quad (or hexa core with 970/980X) with ht and without gfx core. so i7 will always works with dedicated gfx card - so no optimus problems on laptops

So basically you can not say i5 is dual and i7 are quad, because i5 quad and i7 hexa cores are there as well...
    i7 is not always quad core. All i7-6x0 (mobile) processors are dual-cores.

Intel's naming scheme sucks.

Leave a comment:

• blackshard
    replied
    AFAIK mobile i5 are always dual core + HT + turbo.

Desktop parts are:

i7-9xx -> quad core + HT + turbo
    i7-8xx -> quad core + HT + turbo
    i5-7xx -> quad core + turbo (no HT)
    i5-6xx -> dual core + HT + turbo + integrated gfx
    i3-xxx -> dual core + HT + integrated gfx

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    It is not that clear that i5 is ALWAYS a dual. It is a bit more complicated. The

i5-7xx are quad cores without ht but with turbo boost but WITHOUT gfx core.

the other i5 are dual core with ht and turbo boost and gfx core and

i3 is always dual core with ht but WITHOUT turbo boot and gfx core.

i7 is always quad (or hexa core with 970/980X) with ht and without gfx core. so i7 will always works with dedicated gfx card - so no optimus problems on laptops

So basically you can not say i5 is dual and i7 are quad, because i5 quad and i7 hexa cores are there as well...

Leave a comment:

• blackshard
    replied
    Originally posted by WillyThePimp View Post
    "Yes, an i7 has 50% more execution units than an i5, but it doesn't absolutely mean that it will really perform 50% faster. Absolutely!" You said.

50% more cores of 2 is 1 more core. So, 1+2=3, not 4.

Got it?
    That's clearly a typo. A row above I said that i7 is a quad core and i5 is a dual core.
    I made a little mistake with the percentages.

Leave a comment:

• WillyThePimp
    replied
    Originally posted by blackshard View Post
    So quote me where I said the opposite. I think you can't because I clearly said: "... mobile i7 is just a quad-core processor, i5 is dual core ..."
    "Yes, an i7 has 50% more execution units than an i5, but it doesn't absolutely mean that it will really perform 50% faster. Absolutely!" You said.

50% more cores of 2 is 1 more core. So, 1+2=3, not 4.

Got it?

Leave a comment:

• mirv
    replied
    I've not read the entire thread, so I could be talking about something completely off-topic, but just to point out that many people forget about RAM speed and associated latency.
    Could power issues have been related to CPU clocking speeds? Another point to look at.
    But, if the problem is fixed, then I guess this thread no longer has any point other than for comparing e-wang.

Leave a comment:

• blackshard
    replied
    Originally posted by movieman View Post
    The 1.6GHz i7 clocks higher than my i5 in turbo mode, so it wins even there. And who'd base their CPU purchases on single-threaded performance these days?
    Not a coherent speak here. Nehalem-based processors got Turbo Mode not for joke, but to get optimized performance in poor threaded applications, expecially single threaded ones.

Lots of games, nowadays, are still single threaded.

Nothing to say about the rest.

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Originally posted by nusse View Post
    3. Problem went away and am playing and getting comparable results to my AMD System which is of newer components

Just so you know, it's okay to be wrong. And in this case .. you are. I am not even remotely suggesting the i7 is some magical processor but it WAS NOT THE PROBLEM IN MY CASE and is not nearly the crap-proc you are trying to make it out to be.
    Ahhh... so you met Qaridarium and it seems he likes you
    "I have a 486DX2-66MHz that is faster than your "magical" i7!!! i7 is slower than the Z80 on my Master System!!"

BTW, you may also like Heroes of Newerth which is similar to WoW (As far as I can tell), has a native linux port and should run flawlessly on your system. Oh wait, that's right, your system is slower than a Gameboy so you're out of luck.

Leave a comment:

• blackshard
    replied
    Originally posted by WillyThePimp View Post
    4/2 = 2.

A core I7 has TWICE as much cores, not half the cores more. FYI
    So quote me where I said the opposite. I think you can't because I clearly said: "... mobile i7 is just a quad-core processor, i5 is dual core ..."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X