64-bit or 32-bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WillyThePimp View Post
    "Yes, an i7 has 50% more execution units than an i5, but it doesn't absolutely mean that it will really perform 50% faster. Absolutely!" You said.

50% more cores of 2 is 1 more core. So, 1+2=3, not 4.

Got it?
    That's clearly a typo. A row above I said that i7 is a quad core and i5 is a dual core.
    I made a little mistake with the percentages.

Comment

It is not that clear that i5 is ALWAYS a dual. It is a bit more complicated. The

i5-7xx are quad cores without ht but with turbo boost but WITHOUT gfx core.

the other i5 are dual core with ht and turbo boost and gfx core and

i3 is always dual core with ht but WITHOUT turbo boot and gfx core.

i7 is always quad (or hexa core with 970/980X) with ht and without gfx core. so i7 will always works with dedicated gfx card - so no optimus problems on laptops

So basically you can not say i5 is dual and i7 are quad, because i5 quad and i7 hexa cores are there as well...

Comment

AFAIK mobile i5 are always dual core + HT + turbo.

Desktop parts are:

i7-9xx -> quad core + HT + turbo
        i7-8xx -> quad core + HT + turbo
        i5-7xx -> quad core + turbo (no HT)
        i5-6xx -> dual core + HT + turbo + integrated gfx
        i3-xxx -> dual core + HT + integrated gfx

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          It is not that clear that i5 is ALWAYS a dual. It is a bit more complicated. The

i5-7xx are quad cores without ht but with turbo boost but WITHOUT gfx core.

the other i5 are dual core with ht and turbo boost and gfx core and

i3 is always dual core with ht but WITHOUT turbo boot and gfx core.

i7 is always quad (or hexa core with 970/980X) with ht and without gfx core. so i7 will always works with dedicated gfx card - so no optimus problems on laptops

So basically you can not say i5 is dual and i7 are quad, because i5 quad and i7 hexa cores are there as well...
          i7 is not always quad core. All i7-6x0 (mobile) processors are dual-cores.

Intel's naming scheme sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
            So calling it 'mediocre' is bizarre.
            That was with respect to ALL non-server processors, not just laptop chips. In terms of desktop chips, *ANY* mobile CPU is CRAP. I don't care what brand or model.

In other words, the VERY FASTEST mobile chip (which it isn't, BTW) would be considered faster than all other mobile chips, but slower than all desktop chips.... which puts it right about in the very middle -- also known as AVERAGE or MEDIOCRE.

Comment

Working...
            X