64-bit or 32-bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Wow. Its an "i7". Is that supposed to mean something? That chip is mediocre at best (in the grand scheme of things), and it certainly isn't an incredible speed monster.
    Assuming it's a 1.6GHz mobile i7, I believe that's about 50% faster than my mobile i5, which is itself about 4x faster than my old Core Duo. So that probably makes it close to 10x faster than the typical CPU when WoW was released.

If WoW is CPU-limited on a system like that, then they've done something very wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      "Wow. Its an "i7". Is that supposed to mean something?"

in germany wow means somtheing like: OMG OMG its an i7... or HELL its an i7 wow ;-)
      It means the same thing here (Canada), and I was applying it sarcastically (i.e. meaning the opposite of what I actually said).

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
        Assuming it's a 1.6GHz mobile i7, I believe that's about 50% faster than my mobile i5, which is itself about 4x faster than my old Core Duo. So that probably makes it close to 10x faster than the typical CPU when WoW was released.

If WoW is CPU-limited on a system like that, then they've done something very wrong.
        Not even close.
        FAR FAR FAR from it.
        It *MIGHT* be ****AT MOST**** 5% faster than a typical mobile CPU of the same frequency from that time (running the same generic code), probably 15-20% faster running optimized code (which it is NOT).

Comment

Really. I challenge you to take your old machine from 2004 and your "i7", set them to the SAME FREQUENCY and run some single threaded, say, video encoder, compiled for a GENERIC 32BIT 2004 CPU (that means i686-generic). Encode the SAME VIDEO on both with the SAME PARAMETERS running all the SAME BINARIES (including libraries), and TIME IT.

If you think that your "i7" is 10x faster, you're in for a REAL SHOCK.

Comment

The i7-720QM can turbo-boost to 2.8GHz which it probably does since WoW is also probably single-threaded or at most uses 2 threads. The i7 is not the problem here. The graphics card is also not the problem. Wine is known to suck hard, especially with ATI graphics cards. Wine is also only 32-bit so it doesn't matter if your operating system is 32 or 64bit.
            A Core2Duo SU7300 1.3GHz with a Geforce G105M runs WoW at 29,3FPS (1280x1024 high settings no AA and AF) on windoze for comparision.

Comment

With a recent enough kernel turbo boost works quite well with i5/i7 cpus.

Comment

his cpu is just to slow for WOW!
                Okay first, thanks to all that replied, I found some useful information in these threads.

Second, if the CPU was the problem, I'd notice some performance hit in Windows of some kind ... I don't .. It isn't my CPU.

I updated my BIOS, tweaked a few things (based off of links in this thread) and WoW is running rather well now. I get 40 frames on a busy night sitting in Dal (those that play will know what that means) and while my settings are not "maxed" they are set at least mid level or higher.

Thanks. I am gaming happily and BG'ing and raiding without issues.

Comment

"BIOS, tweaked a few things"

this tweaking is just turn of hypertheating SMT ... wow intel fake technicue 'HT' wow OMG its an i7....

"Second, if the CPU was the problem, I'd notice some performance hit in Windows of some kind ... I don't .. It isn't my CPU."

its still the CPU because wine need more cpu than nativ in windows..

and i still waiting for your openSSL4096bit signit result i'm really sure your super new modern mobile i7 cpu is slower than an 5-6 year old Desktop/workstation system.

sorry i can't resist this kind of "intel fanboys*my magic mobil i7 intel cpu can't be the problem*" really burn my brain.
                  Okay I am not going to waste time arguing with someone that just can't see they are wrong and is simply trolling to be a douchebag now. I will simply say that in my case, I updated teh bios (BTW .. the BIOS update fixed a power throttling issue .. NOT A CPU ISSUE) and the tweaks I did were NOT CPU related. And your comment of the i7 being slower than your 5-6 year old desktop really just cements how little you know.

But thanks for trolling and ruining a thread anyway with your non-knowledge. Please in the future feel free to ignore my posts ans I ignore yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    But, the mobile cpu is still an i7! You are saying it's the cpu?!?

OP. here's some links that may or may not help but at least there might be some relevant info someplace:

Wine is a free software application which aims to allow Unix-like operating systems on the x86 architecture to execute programs written for Microsoft Windows. It is not officially supported for World of Warcraft and users have sometimes run afoul of Blizzard Entertainment policies with it.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=17421
                    A special thanks to Panix .. you and the others that supported it not being a CPU issue were dead on and these links helped out tremendously.

Comment

" I will simply say that in my case, I updated teh bios (BTW .. the BIOS update fixed a power throttling issue .. NOT A CPU ISSUE) and the tweaks I did were NOT CPU related"

the PCGH benchmark show that if you turn of the Hypertheating in the BIOS your system will be faster in WOW ! so HT is just an antitechniue.

"But thanks for trolling and ruining a thread anyway with your non-knowledge."

my non-knowledge is that the WOW engine is based on an 2003 pbuffer engine bottleneckt by the CPU on any system!

your 30-40fps status report for wine is a complete nonsence because an i7 2,8ghz make 30-40 fps on windows in the PCGH benchmark test.

so your point about an wine problem is invalid.

"I ignore yours."

yes ignore me you can do it just because your i7 is to fast to be a bottleneck.
                      Okay some actual FACTS for you before I leave this thread:

1. I was having issues
                      2. I updated the BIOS which had specific fixes for GPU throttling issues on my laptop
                      3. Problem went away and am playing and getting comparable results to my AMD System which is of newer components (certainly within your ludicrous 5-6 year margin)
                      4. The updates/tweaks were NOT CPU related
                      5. I honestly don't care what you think .. I was having a problem, made adjustments and am not having problems any more.
                      6. I get that you don't understand the Dal FPS comment .. since you don't you probably shouldn't rule it out as a way to benchmark things.

Just so you know, it's okay to be wrong. And in this case .. you are. I am not even remotely suggesting the i7 is some magical processor but it WAS NOT THE PROBLEM IN MY CASE and is not nearly the crap-proc you are trying to make it out to be. Take a nap .. take some meds .. whatever you need to do to relax and just accept that you are not correct this time around.

/leaves-thread-and-hopes-mods-lock/delete-it

Comment

Working...
                      X