64-bit or 32-bit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64-bit or 32-bit?

System: Dell 1645 XPS .. ATI Mobility 1 GB HD 4870 (I think .. definitely a HD 4XXX series) 6GB of RAM. Kernel 2.6.35

Anyway .. I am using the 10.9 drivers on Linux mint (but seeing this on other distros I have tried .. all ubuntu/debian based) and trying to play World of Warcraft through wine and getting rather poor performance. Typically around 30-40 fps.

My question is, is that what I should expect? Should I try 32-bit as opposed to 64-bit perhaps? That is about the only thing I think I haven't tried to get better performance.

Or am I expecting too much from ATI at the moment? I just figure in the past when I played on a lower-end laptop I saw better frames than this and it is something I am either not doing right, or not configured.

Any help is appreciated.

I really doubt that 32bit will make any difference.

I don't know how fast WoW is supposed to be, but Wine can add a certain amount of overhead. appdb.winehq.org probably has some app-specific wine-tweaks you could try.

Comment

Originally posted by nusse View Post
      System: Dell 1645 XPS .. ATI Mobility 1 GB HD 4870 (I think .. definitely a HD 4XXX series) 6GB of RAM. Kernel 2.6.35

Anyway .. I am using the 10.9 drivers on Linux mint (but seeing this on other distros I have tried .. all ubuntu/debian based) and trying to play World of Warcraft through wine and getting rather poor performance. Typically around 30-40 fps.

My question is, is that what I should expect? Should I try 32-bit as opposed to 64-bit perhaps? That is about the only thing I think I haven't tried to get better performance.

Or am I expecting too much from ATI at the moment? I just figure in the past when I played on a lower-end laptop I saw better frames than this and it is something I am either not doing right, or not configured.

Any help is appreciated.
      the bottelnek of "World of Warcraft" is the CPU on -windows and WINE need much more CPU power.

do can start WOW in the OpenGL mode but some features don't work in the GL mode like the minimap.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        the bottelnek of "World of Warcraft" is the CPU on -windows and WINE need much more CPU power.
        Nice try.

The min. cpu option on a Dell XPS 1645 is an Intel i7. The processor won't be the bottleneck. Could be a WINE issue or amazingly enough, maybe a video driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

do can start WOW in the OpenGL mode but some features don't work in the GL mode like the minimap.
          the CPU is an i7, so I should be okay there.

I just noticed that they released a new BIOS that is supposedly fixing a lot of performance issues .. specifically CPU throttling .. so I will give that a go and see if I don't notice an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            Nice try.

The min. cpu option on a Dell XPS 1645 is an Intel i7. The processor won't be the bottleneck. Could be a WINE issue or amazingly enough, maybe a video driver?
            "Nice try. " you are so wrong the engine of WOW is not FBO based its pbuffer rendering..

means every frame goes completly over the CPU

the WOW engine IS CPU Bottleneckt!

Comment

Originally posted by nusse View Post
              the CPU is an i7, so I should be okay there.

I just noticed that they released a new BIOS that is supposedly fixing a lot of performance issues .. specifically CPU throttling .. so I will give that a go and see if I don't notice an improvement.
              WOW is pbuffer Rendering every frams goes over the cpu to the GPU the PCIe bus is also a bottleneck for pbuffer Rendering

on PCIe 1.0 on max resulution you can't geht more than 60fps with pbuffer because of the pcie bottleneck...

and mobil cpus are LOW MHZ cpus means CPU is more bottleneck than on an desktop system.

wine also need more cpu power.

Comment

But, the mobile cpu is still an i7! You are saying it's the cpu?!?

OP. here's some links that may or may not help but at least there might be some relevant info someplace:

http://www.wowwiki.com/World_of_Warc...nality_on_Wine

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

http://gamegate2k.com/world-of-warcr...-wow-on-linux/

http://iloverobots.net/2010/09/22/wo...rcraft-ubuntu/

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=17421

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                  But, the mobile cpu is still an i7! You are saying it's the cpu?!?
                  do you know any 140watt TDP mobil cpu ? or an 320watt TDP mobile gpu ?
                  or an 250watt dualsockel mobile cpu system? ? ? ? ?
                  uuuhh i7 wow intel wow i7 wow... an i7 on 25 watt usage is just slow!
                  an i7 on 45 watt is just slow an i7 on 65watt is just slow!
                  real man's have 500watt tdp quatsocket opteron 6000 48 core systems.

its still a '''intel'''i7mobile cpu--- LOL !!!!

and yes the pbuffer-rendering bottleneck is the CPU!

Comment

Wow. Its an "i7". Is that supposed to mean something? That chip is mediocre at best (in the grand scheme of things), and it certainly isn't an incredible speed monster. On top of that, in order to achieve its potential, code needs to be compiled to take advantage of ITS characteristics -- not a first-generation K8. You're throwing a generic-compiled 32bit wine and windoze application at it! Its NOT going to be fast!

Comment

Working...
                    X