ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    In my tests, it is 2x slower than r600c in openarena.
    Would you mind explaining the concept of "2x slower"? Because "slowness" is not a measurable metric that you can multiply.

I suggest you re-encode that brainfart in proper fractions. I.e. "1/2 speed".

Comment

In my tests, it does not work at all
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

What KMS bugs?

Originally posted by tormod View Post
        I believe this is all wrong. Quoting from the maverick mesa debian/rules file:
        Code:
        # We should switch to r300g soon, but it won't support UMS.  Stick
        # with r300c for now
        Maybe for KMS, but UMS (classic) still beats the pants off KMS (classic or gallium) in many cases. And some users need UMS because of KMS bugs.
        What KMS bugs?

The only bugs I've ever seen in KMS have been related to something outside of Xorg server control (such as kernel issues prior to 2.6.34). The classic *radeon* Xorg server has supported KMS since Xorg 1.8, and that includes all the way back to the original (R100/Radeon 7000, if you want to be picky); this server is still used by hardware too old to be supported by R300c/g or R600c/g. I'm using an AMD Radeon 7500 (an R100/RV200 part) in Kubuntu 10.10 RC, where KMS is enabled by default (kernel is 2.6.35-22), and I haven't had a lick of trouble with KMS, despite the ancient hardware. The issue may be present in applications I don't use (such as WINE); however, even WINE is a kludge.

I won't say that there *are* no bugs still; however, I personally haven't experienced any that are related directly to the FOSS AMD server efforts in any way/shape/form in the aplications I use.

Therefore, the question stands.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Would you mind explaining the concept of "2x slower"? Because "slowness" is not a measurable metric that you can multiply.

I suggest you re-encode that brainfart in proper fractions. I.e. "1/2 speed".
          Twice as slow is half as fast. Measured in terms of fps in open arena.

Now go get laid, you stuck up cunt.

Comment

It Depends On Where The User Is Coming From

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            I don't really believe they be grateful. Your average Ubuntu user expects his stuff to work and doesn't know much about what Gallium3D is.
            It still depends on where the user is coming from (as is the case with any new/upgrading user). Despite their reputation for it-largely-just-works, 'buntu has been known to take steps that no other Debian-based distribution (including rolling releases such as sid) is willing to take (such as working with AMD to gain customized Linux Catalyst driver releases, and going with newer kernels, such as 2.6.35-22 in the Maverick Meerkat RC). It is for this reason that I have added an older P4 to my test platform regime in order to observe the state of R300g (which has actually replaced R300c in Maverick Meerkat, and is available as a drop-in replacement for Lucid Lynx via both xorg-edgers and x-swat PPAs). My Evergreen_accel testbox needs a motherboard swap (BIOS in the current mobo has locked up); further, xorg-edgers has been having issues with compiles from this branch (this is something I've observed both prior to and since my meltdown), so I am taking this look in the meantime. I have noticed that R300g is more stable than R300c, especially considering that KMS is now enabled by default in Maverick, and under far heavier loads than the older R300c/UMS combination (even with UMS and R300c, KDE was largely for masochists; however, KDE is now actually usable, KMS and all, on anything driven by R300g).

It is also why I asked the question earlier of another poster in this thread that complained about bugs in KMS. Other than issues relating entirely to older kernels (anything older than 2.6.34 has known issues supporting KMS, and that is regardless of distribution), I have not seen any (either in posts in various fora, here, or personal observation). I want documentation/bug reports; otherwise, I have to take such comments with a large saltmine from Siberia.

Comment

Originally posted by PGHammer View Post
              What KMS bugs?
              <snip>
              Therefore, the question stands.
              I am not saying that everybody has issues with KMS, and I think most users share your personal experience of flawless KMS. It is just random issues you'll see in bug trackers and forums, where "radeon.modeset=0 fixed my problem thx". Hopefully this is soon history, but for now having the UMS fallback is nice. Just look back at when our intel user friends got their driver stripped of all "legacy"... Fortunately the radeon developers care about backwards compatibility and maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                Just look back at when our intel user friends got their driver stripped of all "legacy"
                I still have LOTS of BIG problems with Intel and KMS.
                ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  OK, I've tried r600g.

In my tests, it is 2x slower than r600c in openarena. I get solid 60fps with classic, struggle to get solid 30fps with gallium. This is with vsync, so only rough numbers.

KWin bails out complaining that the effects are too slow. I didn't try disabling the checks. It works fine with classic.

Still, nice progress. I haven't noticed any rendering artifacts or lockups, so things re progressing nicely.
                  What CPU ? What GPU ? How much RAM ? What kernel/ddx version and what mesa git commit. I am trying to find a config where r600g perform significantly slower but so far i only have config were it's at same level or little bit slower but definitly not 2 times slower (i have all vsync stuff off)

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                    What CPU ? What GPU ? How much RAM ? What kernel/ddx version and what mesa git commit. I am trying to find a config where r600g perform significantly slower but so far i only have config were it's at same level or little bit slower but definitly not 2 times slower (i have all vsync stuff off)
                    I just noticed you implemented color tiling on R600g
                    To be honest it didn't work without color tiling (I had to reboot X), but now it works fine so I did some more benchmarks.

Openarena, 2560x1600, Very High quality.
                    R600c + color tiling: 92.3 fps
                    R600g + color tiling: 15.9 fps

Is it slow enough? HD 3870, 2 GB of ram, Athlon 64 3800+X2. Kernel: yesterday's drm-radeon-testing. ddx and mesa are today's snapshots.
                    ## VGA ##

Comment

• Originally posted by PGHammer View Post
                      R300g (which has actually replaced R300c in Maverick Meerkat
                      You still want to debate this?
                      It is also why I asked the question earlier of another poster in this thread that complained about bugs in KMS. Other than issues relating entirely to older kernels (anything older than 2.6.34 has known issues supporting KMS, and that is regardless of distribution), I have not seen any (either in posts in various fora, here, or personal observation). I want documentation/bug reports; otherwise, I have to take such comments with a large saltmine from Siberia.
                      If you are referring to my post, I was definitely not "complaining". I explained why distributions are happy to keep the UMS fallback that classic provides. I am not gonna wade through e.g. ubuntuforums.org to find examples for you, but as an example from my own experience even 2.6.35 KMS locks up for me due to fd.o bug 29389, and earlier kernels have no power management...

Comment

Working...
                      X