ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I don't really believe they be grateful. Your average Ubuntu user expects his stuff to work and doesn't know much about what Gallium3D is.
    Very well said!

I am pesonally very greatfull for both the classic driver work since it has allowed me to (ab)use free drivers for my r600 a long while now, and I am also looking forward r600g becoming usable (it's not, kwin sort of works but it is way to slow to be anything near usable). But those I know who use Ubuntu.. NO.

Ubuntu is my favorite GNU/Linux for people who know nothing about computers. My old Ubuntu-using mother knows how to open Firefox and load a website, but she has no idea what "Ubuntu" or "Linux" or "Windows" or "Gallium" means and why would she?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      It's probably worth mentioning that if the shuttle supported 824 out of 930 remote commands and a typical mission used 850 commands then missions would probably not run smoothly. If, on the other hand, a typical mission used 56 commands from 930 then you could go for years without running into a problem. I suspect that a typical application's usage of the full OpenGL feature set is probably closer to 56/930 than 850/930... and if any of the 56 were failing then they would have been fixed after the first mission

Also, the real-world implications of a piglet failure typically do not include loss of life, unless you stare at a mis-rendered opponent in a shooter game for too long and your player gets fragged as a result. Invisible opponents in Nexuiz were a bigger problem, of course... MAJOR loss of life there
      It depends on the distribution of the probabilities of requiring particular commands.

For example, if EVERY shuttle mission definitely required 55 specific commands that are ALWAYS required and ARE implemented, and then ONE RANDOMLY from the remaining pool of 875 commands, then the chances of failing are extremely low.

IF HOWEVER, each command within the total pool of commands has an EQUAL probability of being required, then EACH COMMAND SELECTED has *about* a (930-824)/930 = 11.4% chance of being unimplemented ("about" because I don't feel like getting into the complexities of sequential probabilities from a diminishing pool of possibilities). So you're picking 56 random commands, each of which has an 11.4% probability of being unimplemented, each command is 88.6% likely to BE IMPLEMENTED, then EVEN IF only 56 commands are required, you MOST LIKELY STILL won't be able to complete the mission... the overall probability of success will look something like 0.886^56 = ~0.11%

(now obviously I didn't account for the fact that each command taken from the pool will affect the remaining commands within the pool and thus the probabilities for subsequent selections.... for real it'll be 824/930 * 823/930 * 822/930 * ... * 769/930 since the probability of lucking out with an implemented command diminishes every time you pull an implemented command out of the pool of available commands -- in other words, the estimate of 0.11% was actually HIGHER than what it would actually be.)

Guess its a good thing that some commands are more likely to be required than others.

Comment

Yep. With most APIs there's a pretty drastic falling-off of usage... depending on the size and age of the API, of course. Sometimes APIs get "reborn" with all the old cruft cut away (this is the crux of the DX10/11 vs OpenGL debate, of course) and a consequence is that relatively more of the API is used and there are relatively fewer portions which are rarely used.

So... yeah, agree.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          for real it'll be 824/930 * 823/930 * 822/930 * ... * 769/930 since the probability of lucking out with an implemented command diminishes every time you pull an implemented command out of the pool of available commands -- in other words, the estimate of 0.11% was actually HIGHER than what it would actually be.)
          It's a while since I've been doing statistic but isn't it 824/930 * 823/929 * 822/928 ... instead of what you wrote? The total available choices decreases also as working choices decreases.

Comment

(I don't vouch for the rest of that logic to be right either)

Comment

here is a comparison of piglit on rv740 between r600c and r600g.

shows about 15 regression, two in stencil draw, and 5 to do with 3D texture NPOT handling.

I think there are also a couple of ping-pong tests that pass/fail randomly on both that I haven't tracked down.

Evergreen is a fair bit worse on both classic/gallium, down around 600 for classic and 480 for gallium, however there is a random problem in the gallium driver on evergreen that seems to fail lots of test in sequence but they pass when run individually.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                It's a while since I've been doing statistic but isn't it 824/930 * 823/929 * 822/928 ... instead of what you wrote? The total available choices decreases also as working choices decreases.
                Yeah probably. I think there was a formula for it, but its been a while since I've used it -- probably way back in second year...

Comment

oooh, r600g can now run and (almost) properly display lightsmark 2008

r600c cant display it properly, colots is all messed up

Comment

What framerate does that have?

Comment

Anyone care to explain what is this "new design" that r600g has just defaulted to?

Comment

Working...
                      X