ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xiando View Post
    yeah I should probably update my r600g, it's almost 3 days old now. That old technology isn't even close to r600c on my box. "01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3300 Graphics" isn't the fastest thing to being with, but I see no point in buying a dedicated graphics chip just to wobble the windows.
    3 days is a loooot genius when you use a driver under HEAVY DEVELOPMENT that is not even a 6 months old yet, really how you imagine driver development is?

if it bothers you that much the fact you need to keep your driver in daily sync with git, that makes you come with such childish ironic comments, why you just don't stick with fglrx or an older stable release of mesa provided with your distro until this code mature to be included by default in your current distro?

remember that stupid comments, idiocy, whining and other many useless chit chat won't make the driver advance any faster, on the other hand very well described posts (if possible supported with some testcase or debug info, screenshots, logs, etc) will help the driver mature faster, why ppl tends to take always the hard way?

remember this thread is for the COMMUNITY BASED DRIVER FOR AMD RADEON GPU which is not related/guaranteed/supported/promoted/developed/payed/based on/fork of/ or anything else you can think about with AMD(AMD is only providing documentation and some help to understand that documentation). if you feel you have to whine about AMD driver support in linux go to the FGLRX forum which is a driver where AMD is 100% responsible and you payed for it when you buyed your card.

Community based means that volunteers offer their time to provide the code necessary to make the project advance and since you are not paying them, plz show some appreciation for their efforts providing the best you can like informative posts, some code, documentation or translation help, etc. if you feel you can do it better and kill chuck norris in the process too, the code is completly open and GPL so you can fork the project and do whatever you want with it, that is what freedom means

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
      3 days is a loooot genius when you use a driver under HEAVY DEVELOPMENT that is not even a 6 months old yet, really how you imagine driver development is?

if it bothers you that much the fact you need to keep your driver in daily sync with git, that makes you come with such childish ironic comments, why you just don't stick with fglrx or an older stable release of mesa provided with your distro until this code mature to be included by default in your current distro?

remember that stupid comments, idiocy, whining and other many useless chit chat won't make the driver advance any faster, on the other hand very well described posts (if possible supported with some testcase or debug info, screenshots, logs, etc) will help the driver mature faster, why ppl tends to take always the hard way?

remember this thread is for the COMMUNITY BASED DRIVER FOR AMD RADEON GPU which is not related/guaranteed/supported/promoted/developed/payed/based on/fork of/ or anything else you can think about with AMD(AMD is only providing documentation and some help to understand that documentation). if you feel you have to whine about AMD driver support in linux go to the FGLRX forum which is a driver where AMD is 100% responsible and you payed for it when you buyed your card.

Community based means that volunteers offer their time to provide the code necessary to make the project advance and since you are not paying them, plz show some appreciation for their efforts providing the best you can like informative posts, some code, documentation or translation help, etc. if you feel you can do it better and kill chuck norris in the process too, the code is completly open and GPL so you can fork the project and do whatever you want with it, that is what freedom means
      Chill, dude. We're all friends, here. The way the post sounded, he just wanted to know if it's worth it to pull the kernel git tree and recompile, that's all.

GP, it's worth it to update all components (kernel, libdrm, ddx, mesa). KMS makes the kernel much more important regarding performance and function.

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
        What is your GPU ? Here openarena is faster with new path (on parity with classic driver).
        4850, testing on ioq3

Comment

Originally posted by GDJacobs View Post
          Chill, dude. We're all friends, here. The way the post sounded, he just wanted to know if it's worth it to pull the kernel git tree and recompile, that's all.

GP, it's worth it to update all components (kernel, libdrm, ddx, mesa). KMS makes the kernel much more important regarding performance and function.
          His chip looks rather old so it might well suffice that he would just compile a newer r600g. I'm not sure if there's been anything that critical in kernel-space in the past few days.

Comment

There is nothing new in kernel-space in the past three days...
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I "imagine" development is going forward as indicated by mesa git log, http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...t=grep&q=r600g

My distro does not provide binary packages... and I do eselect mesa set r600 classic when I'm done checking out how the current r600g is doing.

The way FOSS works hasn't really changed much the last 15 years, but I am glad I could help you release all that supressed anger.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                The way FOSS works hasn't really changed much the last 15 years, but I am glad I could help you release all that supressed anger.
                LOL

[stupid 10 characters limit]
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                  What is your GPU ? Here openarena is faster with new path (on parity with classic driver).
                  This is actually the thing holding me back...

I needz my OpenArena

Comment

Anybody know if r600g latest git runs HoN?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      This is actually the thing holding me back...

I needz my OpenArena
                      I run OpenArena on very high quality on 1920x1200 on HD3870 (RV670) normally.
                      OpenArena test on http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Benchmarking gave me
                      Code:
                      840 frames 34.1 seconds 24.6 fps 20.0/40.6/84.0/9.9 ms
                      with r600g. That enough for you?

Comment

Working...
                      X