Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any chance radeon and fglrx will play nice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any chance radeon and fglrx will play nice ?

i have a thinkpad t60 with an x1300 mobility graphics card. i also own an advanced dock with a pci-express slot which i want to use with a last gen ati graphics card for dual external monitor use.

is there by any chance i can use fglrx driver for the newer card (since radeon doesn't support it) without trouble ? do these drivers play nicely together when each of the graphics cards use only one driver to function ?

any info would be appreciated before i spend/waste some $200 on a new card.

We have been making changes to the fglrx driver to reduce the "collisions" with the open drivers but I'm not sure if they are at the point where the two drivers can co-exist yet.

The open source drivers have support for all of the "newer cards" that we are shipping today (although 3D support on Evergreen still has a couple of known issues as of yesterday) so I believe running the open drivers on both cards should be a possibility.
    Test signature

Comment

This sounds familiar...

Originally posted by ufster View Post
      i have a thinkpad t60 with an x1300 mobility graphics card. i also own an advanced dock with a pci-express slot which i want to use with a last gen ati graphics card for dual external monitor use.
      Heh, this sounds like my setup. A couple of words of caution, though:
      a) The PCIe slot in the Advanced Dock is very narrow. I discovered that Powercolor's HD4650 fits inside perfectly, but anything with an on-board fan has almost zero chance.
      b) The Advanced Dock's PCIe slot has a built-in fan of its own. And it's not exactly a silent one!

My own T60p has a built-in M66 chip. Coupled with the HD4650 in the Advanced Dock, this laptop has been stuck running Fedora 10 for years because of fglrx. My hope is that Fedora 14 and Gallium will change all that very, very soon...

Comment

@bridgman: thanks for the info. it's appreciated.

@chrisr: i thought of using a pci-e extension cable and an external psu for a relatively powerful card (firegl or radeon) with dual-dvi for some cad work. i guess it's time for some trial and error to figure out which older debian version works the best and dual boot with a recent one when using the laptop undocked.

Comment

Working...
        X