No announcement yet.

ATI Evergreen 3D Code May Soon Go Into Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Note: I'm only discussing the theoretical aspects of this. I'm not advocating that anyone go off and actually do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      You mean government regulation?
      nope.

I'd disagree with some of your predictions about the outcome; in any case there are a couple of other scenarios with outcomes much worse for us. Even if I had a full UVD+DRM documentation on my desk and the means to publish it anonymously, I don't think I would. IMHO it's not worth the risk and the collateral damage. But you're free to disagree with that.

Comment

So they'll deny new DRM-infested titles on AMD chips. Cry me a river. The customer might not like this in the short term, but long term, boycotting DRM might help.
        Think of the big picture. This would lead into Microsoft AMD GPU's to lose Microsoft certificates since they can't do DRM anymore. This would lead to that OEM wouldn't be allowed to sell the cheap versions of Windows with computers that have AMD GPU's. Think what this would do to sales.

Comment

• Ehm, "would lead into AMD GPU's to lose Microsoft's certificates" to clarify.

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            Think of the big picture. This would lead into Microsoft AMD GPU's to lose Microsoft certificates since they can't do DRM anymore. This would lead to that OEM wouldn't be allowed to sell the cheap versions of Windows with computers that have AMD GPU's. Think what this would do to sales.
            Where do you get that from?
            If a MAJOR GPU vendor, like AMD suddenly was TOTALLY DENIED DRM, their customers would NOT be shut out! DRM would simply be altered.

The fact that the DRM is already broken means that there is nothing to gain by locking anyone out of it. HDCP is dead. The only DRM left is the input DRM, and this can all be done in software without any involvement of the GPU.

If AMD were to lose DRM, it would be implemented in SOFTWARE, and the security of the software-DRM would be as strong as current hardware-DRM is (which is obviously not strong at all since it is broken). No customer would lose DRM. Regular consumer (i.e. non-technical) customers wouldn't even KNOW about it since these lockouts don't happen instantly. The software solution would be implemented BEFORE the DRM revocation even went through.

And HDCP being dead? This won't make ANY difference to a consumer. As already shown, the bitrate is WAY too high for a casual consumer to deal with. In fact, this is guaranteed to have NO effect on consumer usage of DRM-infested media. The place where this MIGHT be used is in capturing/splitting/etc., the output of a satellite receiver or cable box.

Comment

Where do you get that from?
              If a MAJOR GPU vendor, like AMD suddenly was TOTALLY DENIED DRM, their customers would NOT be shut out! DRM would simply be altered.
              I wasn't talking about that. I was talking of it damaging AMD/ATi's future sales on Windows platform. Considering that platform is the main platform for desktop systems, you really have to think twice before disrupting your sales there just because of ideology issues on some minor platform.

Comment

• Let's do a wargame:
                1. Windows can't run on AMD anymore.
                2. AMD stocks drop like hell.
                3. nVidia folk will fly out of their chairs out of excitement.
                4. Windows does not run on Fusion.
                5. Windows still doesn't run.
                6. Flying chairs in Redmond upon realising people are installing Ubuntu.
                7. Microsoft will probably release an AMD version of Windows 7.
                8. AMD hates this but sees the need to supply their now-Ubuntu users with more support.

9. RIAA/MPAA: FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuu-

Comment

• My network died when I was attempting to reply.
                  Alternatively 4. Fusion doesn't work with Windows, Fusion flops

Comment

• Not that this was about compatibility but that miraculously new Windows systems with AMD/ATi display cards getting almost a hundred euros more expensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      I wasn't talking about that. I was talking of it damaging AMD/ATi's future sales on Windows platform. Considering that platform is the main platform for desktop systems, you really have to think twice before disrupting your sales there just because of ideology issues on some minor platform.
                      And that is exactly what I responded to... IT WOULDN'T HAVE ANY EFFECT since the DRM crap would be moved to software before all those users were dropped.

Comment

Working...
                      X