ATI Evergreen 3D Code May Soon Go Into Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    3d is not only for movies. There's nothing stopping 3d games/apps from working (other than drivers) and let me tell you that they bring a whole new experience to the table. You don't have 3d if you don't like it, but games/apps engineered for 3d can be awesome.
    Sure. When this is all there and established, 3D screens will probably not require glasses and just blit two images extremely fast.

All it takes is probably some double framebuffer blit hysteria code and everythings is there. I'm just hating this hyped up shit every single time something new comes along.

Atomic bombs were the most easy bombs, touchscreens are just tiny IR camera's under the screen, flatscreens are just ink. It's all so fscking simple! Why the freaking "OMG OMG OMG"?

*sorry I'll admit I'm in a little pissed of state today so if anyone feels attacked by me; don't take it personal*

Comment

"OMG OMG OMG", that sums it all up. All it takes is a good marketing machine and dumb consumers.

Fortunately, the hype is rather less IRL than on the internet. Yes, you can always find people with think the latest contraption from Sony/Apple/whatever is the best thing since sliced bread, but most simply don't care.

Comment

@BlackStar,

Is this why you're using Gnome?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          how many times in your life have you gone through the process of "Wow it's the future! It's gonna kill x and bla bla bla bla bla!!!" ?
          None that I can recall.
          When this is all there and established, 3D screens will probably not require glasses and just blit two images extremely fast.
          The only way I can envision that being a possibility is if you're smack-bang in front of the screen and at a largely pre-determined distance from the screen, to counter lens distortion, or the TV has a camera and adjusts the shutters/other mechanism via head tracking. Considering people got pissed off by rear projection, I can't see anyone buying a 3D panel that only one person can view at a time. Stereoscopic 3D isn't really 3D, you can't just do anything you want with it. Assuming there is some great breakthrough in the foreseeable future, it's probably not going to be backwards compatible with stereoscopic media.

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
            None that I can recall.
            Recall this thread.

The only way I can envision that being a possibility is if you're smack-bang in front of the screen and at a largely pre-determined distance from the screen, to counter lens distortion, or the TV has a camera and adjusts the shutters/other mechanism via head tracking. Considering people got pissed off by rear projection, I can't see anyone buying a 3D panel that only one person can view at a time. Stereoscopic 3D isn't really 3D, you can't just do anything you want with it. Assuming there is some great breakthrough in the foreseeable future, it's probably not going to be backwards compatible with stereoscopic media.
            Yeah yeah yeah... Or something else entirely simple. Metaphorically speaking...

Comment

Lol, you are all talking about Bluray, Full HD movies and the industry and shit, but has anyone with the right mind ever considdered that all of this shit is never going to run on Linux due to copy protection, DRM and patents? Oh yeah, that's right; I forgot. So stop bitching about this stupid stereo 3D shit.

Just figure; how many times in your life have you gone through the process of "Wow it's the future! It's gonna kill x and bla bla bla bla bla!!!" ? Times do not change so fast. And when the moment is there it is going to take half a year for someone to hack something up in his/her sparetime and it's there...
              Right... and since the copy protection/drm has been broken and people tend not to respect patents, where does that leave us? Right. It'll play on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                "OMG OMG OMG", that sums it all up. All it takes is a good marketing machine and dumb consumers.
                And there you have 100% of Apple's marketing strategy.

Comment

@BlackStar,

Is this why you're using Gnome?
                  Yeah, it's magic.

Comment

See the supposed HDCP master key released today

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      See the supposed HDCP master key released today
                      That.

Is.