No announcement yet.

ATI Evergreen 3D Code May Soon Go Into Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USERS would not perceive that the hardware was at fault (and they would be right) -- just that there's something wrong with wondoze (and they would be right). FOR THIS REASON, the DRM-crap would end up in software.

RIGHT NOW, as it stands, all the DRM-crap can be done in software anyway -- even HDCP!

DRM-crap-in --> Wondoze remove DRM, send DRM-free data to "signed" driver, "signed" driver sends back decoded and still DRM-free video back to Wondoze, wondoze add in HDCP --> dump out to HDMI. Is there really any particular reason the DRM has to be in the hardware to begin with?

Comment

• Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Is there really any particular reason the DRM has to be in the hardware to begin with?
      Read up on PVP-UAB. It requires that any content sent over a PCIE bus (or any User-Accessible Bus) be encrypted. Since there is no driver code running on the card itself you need hardware on the card to decrypt the video content before decoding it.

The decrypted bitstream needs to stay on-chip, ie you can't use video memory as a buffer between a decrypt block and a decode block because that would make it too easy for an attacker to reach in and grab the bitstream.
      Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        My network died when I was attempting to reply.
        Alternatively 4. Fusion doesn't work with Windows, Fusion flops
        5. Anti-trust lawsuit. Will be settled, because Microsoft doesn't like anti-trust, and Fusion will still be certified, but without DRM compatibility.

Comment

• It's not that simple either. There is a whole ecosystem built up around DRM. MS hardware/driver certification is basically saying "this level of functionality appears to exist", including DRM functionality such as PVP-UAB.

AACS licensees (eg player app developers), in turn, rely on that as a foundation for *their* commitments to content providers... and they would probably blacklist the hardware even if it *was* certified (since the certification would no longer mean what it did in the past).
          Test signature

Comment

• 7. Playback app doesn't work on AMD systems.
            8. Playback app company looses market size; business case isn't so bright anymore. Company goes out of business.
            9. DRM cartel collapses on PC.
            10. No need for hardware DRM.
            11. Back to squire one.
            12. Software DRM or new DRM schemes.

Comment

• Dream on.

Comment

• I do agree with the hostility. You either sell Windows or other operating systems, but you can't bundle Windows with another operating system.

You either have closed DRM and have Windows certifications (why the hell can't you force a driver instal without certification, huh?) or you go open source, but you can't have both.

Something smells rotten around here...

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  I do agree with the hostility. You either sell Windows or other operating systems, but you can't bundle Windows with another operating system.

You either have closed DRM and have Windows certifications (why the hell can't you force a driver instal without certification, huh?) or you go open source, but you can't have both.

Something smells rotten around here...
                  Duh, that's news to you? Of course the current system is rotten. I suppose one of the major reason no one cares is that it on average works.

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Duh, that's news to you?
                    Well, actually it's not. I'm just sketching how it relates to previous Microsoft tactics, although this time it's a very convenient side effect.

DRM has been "You either in or you're out" from the get go.

*I'm not so secretively waiting for someone to reverse engineer the entire nVidia DRM and just put it out there. See what happens. It won't hurt the FLOSS companies like AMD and Intel.*

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      *I'm not so secretively waiting for someone to reverse engineer the entire nVidia DRM and just put it out there. See what happens. It won't hurt the FLOSS companies like AMD and Intel.*
                      Sounds like excessively untrivial work. I suspect you have a long time of waiting ahead of you. I'm not also sure whether it's possible to do that level of reverse-engineering without the risk of damaging the cards in the process.

Comment

Working...
                      X