Open source Linux driver for Bobcat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open source Linux driver for Bobcat?

I've read a bit here and there on this forum over the past year or so, and it seems to me that this is the place to go for information on AMD (ATI) open source linux questions.

I've read about AMD's new Bobcat architecture, which aims to integrate a CPU and GPU in the same chip, and will mainly be used for low power purposes (as far as I can tell).

Does anyone know if open source drivers will be released for this Bobcat architecture, like is the case with the Radeon architecture?

I believe that this is the main reason why the open source strategy was started in the first place.

AFAIK, the Fusion-based processors will have open-source drivers, probably close to the launch date.

Comment

That's good to hear. It seems to me that this is exactly what Linux is missing in the netbook market; a GPU with an open graphics driver.
      If it is indeed the case, I'll definitely buy a Fusion netbook when the time comes.

Now, if this little thing also supports accelerating video decoding, we'll have the perfect, low power media center too .

But I guess you're right, it'd seem odd if AMD chose to put a halt to their open attitude now. And I can't really see what the disadvantages would be, of releasing the same documentation that is there for Radeon. It doesn't seem like the Bobcat architecture introduces anything new, that might hurt AMD by being revealed (at least according to this article: http://arstechnica.com/business/news...t-straight.ars).

Comment

Fusion was one of several reasons for the OSS initiative.

AMD has already started working on the Fusion drivers. Although they haven't made any official promises, their goal is to have working drivers before launch. Not sure if that'll work out, but I'd guess they're not sure yet, either

Comment

FYI "Bobcat" is the name for the new CPU core in the first Fusion product - the combined CPU/GPU chip is called "Ontario".
          Test signature

Comment

Caught talking about unreleased products have we ^

Comment

Originally posted by runeks View Post
              That's good to hear. It seems to me that this is exactly what Linux is missing in the netbook market; a GPU with an open graphics driver.
              If it is indeed the case, I'll definitely buy a Fusion netbook when the time comes.

Now, if this little thing also supports accelerating video decoding, we'll have the perfect, low power media center too .
              Yes they have hardware accelerated video decoding, but only closed source + closed API. If you want to have open source hardware accelerated video decoding Intel is your friend.

Comment

At least it is improving for intel hd graphics, maybe not as good as nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  FYI "Bobcat" is the name for the new CPU core in the first Fusion product - the combined CPU/GPU chip is called "Ontario".
                  Ah, I see, thanks. I was a little confused with all the names (and I think Wikipedia was too), but I figured you'd understand me anyway, and correct me if I was wrong .

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  Yes they have hardware accelerated video decoding, but only closed source + closed API. If you want to have open source hardware accelerated video decoding Intel is your friend.
                  As far as I can tell, it's at least possible to get accelerated video decoding in a FOSS ATI driver by using shaders in Gallium3D, as mentioned here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjU3Nw

But being that the last comment from the developer of this was posted ~1? years ago, you're right in that the only usable open source video acceleration is provided by Intel.

But it seems to be possible right? And perhaps this project will start being worked on again when Ontario systems become publicly available? Provided the GPU in this Ontario APU is fast enough to actually handle the acceleration of 1080p decoding using shaders in Gallium3D. I have no idea if it is (or, for that matter, what shaders even are in the first place... ). But I think it'd be awesome to have a ~25W HTPC running XBMC, I imagine a lot of people feel the same way (or, at least, hopefully the ones who know shader programming in Gallium3D ).

Comment

Which will be completely useless you can be 100% sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X