No announcement yet.

ATI Catalyst 10.8 For Linux Brings OpenGL ES 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the fullscreen redirecting bug is still present.
    fglrx 10.6 is the only release without this bug.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      A defualt Linux system without FGLRX = A real stable Linux system .

A default Linux system with FGLRX = Windows ME .

And I'm not joking.
      Perhaps, but I recently had very poor experience with open source ATI acceleration on Fedora 13, while having an excellent experience with FGLRX on Ubuntu 10.04. Fedora fixed their driver issues while ATI released FGLRX that would work with the newer Xorg for Fedora 13. I now have a stable desktop with both Fedora and Ubuntu whether I use the open source driver or FGLRX.

I have also used FGLRX with RHEL5 to good effect, including playing ETQW on it.

So while I understand that you might be serious, I cannot confirm one bit of your experience. Quite the opposite in fact.

Comment

Well most likely you do NOT use KDE 4.

Comment

The FUD starts again.

A defualt Linux system without FGLRX = A real stable Linux system .
          A default Linux system with FGLRX = Windows ME .
          And I'm not joking.
          I assume you are as long as you don't give any examples of this "instability". Yes, catalyst has its error. But with my HD 4670 I had at least no stability issues.

No point in having optimized 3D driver if the driver doesn't even run the game that will utilize it.
          "The game"? Which?
          (I lost it).

Xorg 1.8 support?
          I don't know abput your catalyst but my catalyst 10.7 runs with xorg 1.8 since the first day.

Especially when you want to use iceweasel (firefox) you often see black. Even other windows are often with a black boarder.
          At least that's a REAL problem. For me and many others not using the new 2d acceleration is a working workaround:
          Code:
          aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE
          Some people report it's not working but I think that they just didn't disable it. Happened to me too that I reinstalled catalyst with the config files while xorg running and then the setting was still there on reboot.

When you have got a hd 5 card you will definitely not get oss 3d support with a current distro right now.
          In Archlinux it won't take long time.
          Besides there are very active people maintaining a repo for the latest development releases of the kernel with drm patches for radeon, mesa and the radeon drivers.

For KDE4, I don't use it, too buggy. From KDE 4.5 I hear no better.
          In fact I wonder why people who are actually suffering KDE (I won't call it use) are complaining about bugs in catalyst.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            I don't know abput your catalyst but my catalyst 10.7 runs with xorg 1.8 since the first day.
            Maybe he meant 1.9? (which isn't even released yet)

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              Maybe he meant 1.9? (which isn't even released yet)
              I guess you missed the memo: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODUzMg

@those responding to bulletxt: DO NOT FEED THE TROLL (put it on your ignore list).

Comment

Next problem i also found with 10-7, when i want to play a dvd with kaffeine and i press i to switch deinterlace or not -> X crash. Card used: HD 5670 on with Debian squeeze with KDE 4. It is hard to beleave that a driver could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Oh, hmm. Interesting. I suppose it has then.

Comment

Ahhh. So X server 1.9.0 is released but X.org 7.6 which X server 1.9.x will be part of isn't released yet. Fine.

Comment

LOL, this is hilarious.

6% performance drop is no longer observed while running fgl_glxgears and glxgears on specific cards
                      Are they going to optimize the Linux part of their drivers now for a useless benchmark that isn't really a benchmark anyway?

btw. XvBA still broken on Evergreen.

Comment

Working...
                      X