Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Catalyst 10.8 For Linux Brings OpenGL ES 2.0

Phoronix: ATI Catalyst 10.8 For Linux Brings OpenGL ES 2.0

Last month the Catalyst 10.7 driver for ATI Radeon/FirePro graphics cards brought Eyefinity support to consumer-grade graphics cards after it had been available within the Windows Catalyst drivers for months. Meanwhile, the Windows version of Catalyst 10.7 brought OpenGL ES 2.0 support so that web browsers can take advantage of it for accelerating HTML5 rendering and WebGL. While the Catalyst 10.7 for Linux release went without this support, it's been added to the just-released Catalyst 10.8 build...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why even bother?

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      Why even bother?
      ... typing that kind of pointless post? I wonder indeed.
      Back to topic:
      Downloading, will give worthwhile observations in a few days.

Comment

Speaking of fgl_glxgears, which license is the code under and is there a repo for it somewhere? Just playing with the idea whether it would be possible to (have distros) package it separately and make sure it runs on all display drivers properly. It's iirc a neat demo.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
          ... typing that kind of pointless post? I wonder indeed.
          Back to topic:
          Downloading, will give worthwhile observations in a few days.

A defualt Linux system without FGLRX = A real stable Linux system .

A default Linux system with FGLRX = Windows ME .

And I'm not joking.

Comment

Come on, no point going name-calling here. No one said you should install fglrx.

Comment

Really? really? a 6% increase in fgl_glxgears. are you kidding us!?

This is a joke right? Better time spent helping the open source devs work on a driver that "just works"

No point in having optimized 3D driver if the driver doesn't even run the game that will utilize it.

Xorg 1.8 support?

HoN fixed? anyone know yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Jecos View Post
                Really? really? a 6% increase in fgl_glxgears. are you kidding us!?
                they probably just fixed something which resulted in a 6% increase in fgl_glxgears and thought "just post it xD".

Comment

KDE 4.4.5 (squeeze)+fglrx= crap. Especially when you want to use iceweasel (firefox) you often see black. Even other windows are often with a black boarder. It is really extreme that ati ONLY tests with ubuntu, when compiz mostly works they are happy. KDE 4 could not be called supported, also the composite tests always fail with fglrx. What is ati thinking? When you have got a hd 5 card you will definitely not get oss 3d support with a current distro right now. fglrx has to work, but in such a bad shape it hurts. Basically ati should be sued for such bad drivers - they never worked for KDE 4 correctly as long as i test squeeze. The only thing that was fixed was tesselation with OpenGL.

Comment

All hail AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X