Progress On The ATI R600g Gallium3D Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monkeynut View Post
    It's just a shame we won't get texture compression.
    If all else fails, the patent will expire on 21st of September 2019 and texture compression will be free.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynut View Post
      It's just a shame we won't get texture compression.
      libtxc-dxtn?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        I have a nasty feeling you had to work around added DRM, am I correct?
        Actually no, we got lucky this time. Most of the effort went into finding a few new bits that had to be programmed in order for anything to work. The problem is that GPUs don't tell you *why* they aren't working, they just kinda sit there and laugh at you
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          The problem is that GPUs don't tell you *why* they aren't working, they just kinda sit there and laugh at you
          Or maybe rather sulk? A true geek doesn't need a wife when they have a GPU - neither of them tell what you're doing wrong.

Comment

Actually no, we got lucky this time. Most of the effort went into finding a few new bits that had to be programmed in order for anything to work. The problem is that GPUs don't tell you *why* they aren't working, they just kinda sit there and laugh at you
            Haha! Do you ever get computer rage?

Comment

Heh. That reminds me of the Prolog programming language. If something goes wrong, you get three characters of output:
              No.

Comment

I just noticed that with current mesa git, Oolite appears to run decently with r600 Gallium. Awesome!

Some days ago it was running for the first time, but with shaders enabled a number of textures were missing.

Comment

Originally posted by nikai View Post
                  I just noticed that with current mesa git, Oolite appears to run decently with r600 Gallium. Awesome!

Some days ago it was running for the first time, but with shaders enabled a number of textures were missing.
                  Thanks for sharing this information. Mesa git log shows a number of r600g commits made in last few weeks. What is the overall state of functionality/performance of the r600g compared to the r600c? Wine experiences? Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by fa5hion View Post
                    Thanks for sharing this information. Mesa git log shows a number of r600g commits made in last few weeks. What is the overall state of functionality/performance of the r600g compared to the r600c? Wine experiences? Anyone?
                    Currently r600c is 2-3x faster than r600g - at leats that tell me my openarena/ioquake3 tests.

Comment

Well, 300g in mesa git from 3 days ago is quite a lot slower and buggier than 300g from 2 or 3 weeks ago. There are problems with transparency in KWin for instance, that were not before.
                      I imagined that this has more to do with the new GLSL2 compiler than actual 300g commits, but sibnce I know very little about the whole stack, I'm probably wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X