Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source 2D, 3D For ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series GPUs

Phoronix: Open-Source 2D, 3D For ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series GPUs

AMD continues to abide by their commitment to provide open-source support for their graphics cards and as proof of that this afternoon they have released their initial hardware acceleration code that supports the ATI Radeon HD 5000 "Evergreen" family of consumer grade graphics processors. While this Evergreen support isn't yet finished and for the time being is targeted towards Linux developers and enthusiasts, you can now play around with your ATI Radeon HD 5000 graphics processor on an open-source driver while having 2D EXA, X-Video, and OpenGL acceleration.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

finally !

Comment

Apparently it's Q3 2010 Thanks, AMD!

Depending on the timing of the mesa drop, I'll spend some time this weekend trying to get it to run

needed:
      - kernel 2.6.35, configured for KMS and everything
      - xf86-video-ati from here
      - Xorg, are there specific version requirements?
      - mesa, probably in another git branch to be announced.

any other dependencies?

What's the stance on bug reports? Should we hold off for a while? Or just file 'em? Any specific debugging info we should add (besides backtraces)?

Comment

Thanks!

Wooohooo! Thank you ATI/AMD. Keep it comming.

Comment

That's interesting, maybe i try a ppa when there is one for maverick. As fglrx fails again with new xserver that's at least a good news. From the last commit xv should work. Would that work with ums too and xserver 1.4?

Comment

I believe this code requires KMS/DRI2.
            Test signature

Comment

Damn, no fun yet. Wanted to try this so I enabled the KMS in Linux 2.6.36 RC1 and I got the freeze during boot with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. So let's first file a bug report about this...

Comment

Finally!

First impressions:

- 2D is very slow!
                - Some small corruption around mouse pointer and sometimes scrollbars.
                - Xv is working
                - I got kicked out of X two times with message:

Code:
                ps const buffer map failed
                ps const buffer map failed

Fatal server error:
                failed to map pixmap -12

Comment

I find all the exclamations of "finally" to be somewhat harsh.

Think about the time its taken for previous generations to get supported by open source -- this is the fastest one yet by FAR.

How many YEARS did it take for R300? And then again for R600 (but not AS long)? This one was LESS THAN ONE YEAR!!!

And now they're already starting to look at the next gen that isn't even out yet? They are almost on top of it! At this rate, the HD7000 series will be supported same day or even before that.

Comment

finally! This was the final decider when I bought a gfx card, I knew nvidia drivers are better but I went ATI because they had decent OSS drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X