Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    I read these types of reports quite often:

Read the first link to the end. The first post was comparing glxgears frame rates, which are almost totally irrelevent. Further down the thread the same poster ran the same systems with Unigine Heaven and obtained almost identical results between the two systems. Wine still works better on NVidia hardware (which makes sense because it was developed on that hardware) but the gap is closing over time.

The second link is really talking about installer robustness more than the driver itself.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      The second link is really talking about installer robustness more than the driver itself.
      If by second link you're referring to
      Originally posted by Bruners View Post
      Got my 460 last week and i have to say this is the best experience i have had with linux in a long time, my previous experience with ATI cards have been terrible. Now with nvidia everything just works and the performance is great.

Open drivers or not, nvidia's drivers are awesome compared to the ones ATI have delivered.
      Then I think he'd be talking more about day to day quality of user experience. If fglrx's problems were simply a case of being troublesome to install I'd be thrilled.

Comment

I read the post differently (although I could be wrong, of course).

People complaining about driver problems tend to talk about more subtle problems than "performance". Most of the cases I have seen where performance is really bad are related to install issues more than fundamental driver problems, although I'm sure there are exceptions to that. If you install a new fglrx driver on top of an existing one without uninstalling the existing driver first you can get some really tough-to-debug problems.
        Test signature

Comment

People complaining about driver problems tend to talk about more subtle problems than "performance".
          Performance is nice but smooth and correct operation is more important to me so when I complain it's usually related to odd behaviour that I didn't observe with the blob.

Most of the cases I have seen where performance is really bad are related to install issues more than fundamental driver problems, although I'm sure there are exceptions to that. If you install a new fglrx driver on top of an existing one without uninstalling the existing driver first you can get some really tough-to-debug problems.
          Just as a common sense precaution which is backed up by your commonly provided advice to always un-install an old version before installing a new one that's what I've always done. I used to do this with the earlier nV blobs as well but got lazy and found it wasn't necessary there. Just to be sure when moving from 10.5 to 10.6, 7 and 8 I've done that. I'll be doing a fresh install and testing with that when 10.9 is rolled out which might coincide with Ubuntu 10.10.

Comment

Working...
          X