Please, some R200 love!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I think people are saying that you're penalized for using/buying an older laptop with an older card, period.

That said, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get it running, but you do need to be a bit nicer to the people who are trying to help.
    I don't think so. If it was an older Nvidia or Intel card, I don't think it would be as bad. Anyway, I rebooted (I guess I forgot?!?) and there seems to be a change after that. I now get around 956FPS when I run glxgears. That's a big difference over the 100 or so I was getting. The negative is, by some coincidence, my Google Earth seems to be 'broken.' It won't start anymore and I get an 'error' message. I am not sure if that problem is outside the scope of this topic or category but the log seems to have mention of DRI and the R200 of the card. I think it's related to the 'proper' install or optimization of the video drivers. But, I'm only speculating.

Anyway, I think there was an improvement over the previous driver install but something is still wrong.

My original post was just frustration. I am stuck using this old laptop for now and it seems most apps I install have some issue related to the video drivers. Also, there are hardware issues (unrelated) but that's something else.

Comment

Google Earth has been broken on r300 and r500 since it's most recent release. I'd assume the same is true for r200, though I honestly don't know whose fault the crash is.

Adam

Comment

EDIT: I meant r300 and r600. Obviously r500 is true as well since it uses the r300 driver.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
          Google Earth has been broken on r300 and r500 since it's most recent release. I'd assume the same is true for r200, though I honestly don't know whose fault the crash is.
          Run in the google earth directory:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. gdb ./googleearth-bin

And please post the backtrace.

Comment

Out of curiosity: was this latest somewhat working situation with kernel modesetting or without?

Comment

Is that question to me?

I don't think it's enabled right now. I suspect it wasn't enabled before - do you have to manually change between the two settings?

I use Gmail and I am finding more problems logging in. I wonder if Google is slipping as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                I don't think it's enabled right now. I suspect it wasn't enabled before - do you have to manually change between the two settings?
                Normal people boot when switching KMS on and off. (no offense to the people originally developing KMS )
                Yes, you do have to enable it manually. Kernel parameter on boot is the common way to do it. I think first page of this thread included talk on this.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                  Run in the google earth directory:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. gdb ./googleearth-bin

And please post the backtrace.
                  Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

And here's the crashlog from google earth:

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
                    http://pastebin.com/684n0eNa

And here's the crashlog from google earth:

http://pastebin.com/i8DN55Kh
                    I've been hitting this issue too. I am not sure whose bug this is, but Google Earth is the only application that can trigger it. It was already reported to Google some time ago.

Comment

But, users with non-ATI cards claim GE work fine?

Comment

Working...
                      X