Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gallium3D R600 Driver Now Has Texture Support

Phoronix: The Gallium3D R600 Driver Now Has Texture Support

There's good news for those interested in the open-source Gallium3D driver for the ATI R600/R700 (Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 series) graphics cards: the R600g driver is beginning to work. While there's been the classic Mesa R600/R700 driver for months now that is working fine for most users, once finished the Gallium3D version should offer better performance, better OpenGL support (OpenGL 2.1 support off the bat, but that's still a ways behind OpenGL 4.1), and many other possibilities via Gallium3D's different state trackers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been itching to try this. I believe that this is the last major architectural change left after the migration to KMS and TTM, the in-kernel power saving etc.

Comment

Why is there a custom GLSL compiler? Wouldn't this be in the OpenGL state tracker (compiling it into Gallium3D IR) and thus already available and/or common to all Gallium3D drivers???

[With there perhaps a LLVM based optimizing compiler to compile Gallium3D IR into efficient hardware commands at the lowest layers]

[my apologies for the double post / I posted an expanded question on the previous article... http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...25#post138646]

Comment

Go ATI. It's coming together roughshod but it's coming together.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig73 View Post
          Why is there a custom GLSL compiler? Wouldn't this be in the OpenGL state tracker (compiling it into Gallium3D IR) and thus already available and/or common to all Gallium3D drivers???

[With there perhaps a LLVM based optimizing compiler to compile Gallium3D IR into efficient hardware commands at the lowest layers]

[my apologies for the double post / I posted an expanded question on the previous article... http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...25#post138646]
          Just to close off this question, there is a common GLSL compiler generating an intermediate representation (Mesa IR / TGSI), then the custom compiler turns that intermediate representation into hardware-specific instructions.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Just to close off this question, there is a common GLSL compiler generating an intermediate representation (Mesa IR / TGSI), then the custom compiler turns that intermediate representation into hardware-specific instructions.
            So is that IR what actually crosses the state tracker <-> GPU driver interface?

Comment

Yep, basically IR for the shader programs, some "when you draw, draw this way" calls, and some "draw these triangles" calls. There's more, but those are the important ones.

Strictly speaking a state tracker implies Gallium3D so it would be TGSI rather than Mesa IR crossing the interface, but TGSI is just another form of IR.
              Test signature

Comment

What is IR?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  What is IR?
                  "Intermediate representation (IR)"

Comment

IR = Intermediate Representation

Comment

Working...
                    X