X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gukin
    replied
    Here's a cheap way to go triple head:

Get something like a 5670, this is my card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150466)

Then get a DVI to VGA converter, I have this one: (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812270275)

and an HDMI to DVI cable like this one: (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812270113)

My costs right now are: $90 for the card, $26 for the DVI converter and $6 + shipping is $127.77.

I am running Mandriva 2010.1 x86_64 and have had to turn off the 2d effects (aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE).

I am running three 1600x1200 monitors rotated 90 degrees for a 3600x1600 display. It works great and I was able to configure everything from amdccclesu.

NOTE: I've read that the display port to VGA adapter tops out at 1600x1200 but other reports say it can go 1920x1200. I can only vouch for 1600x1200.

3D acceleration across all screens works well and 2D performance is adequate for my needs. Not to shabby for a $90 card pushing 5.76 million pixels.

Leave a comment:

• Forbidden
    replied
    Well, I've picked up a HD5770 and replaced a couple of my screens with DisplayPort ones, and I must say, I am impressed. Four screens, compiz, xinerama hints for window size, single desktop... this is perfect. So much better than my old dual nvidia twinview setup!

Thanks the the help, everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    No, vlc 1.1.1 was for the WINDOWS driver. it works with vaapi up to h264 l4.1 already.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    There is no huge diff between em. I could not see any xvba fixes there.
    Ah, okay. I was just wondering if there was a way to extract whatever lib introduces the VLC 1.1.1 compatibility and keep Cat 10-6 as the base.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    There is no huge diff between em. I could not see any xvba fixes there.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    10-7 is the biggest crap ever produced this year as for Linux+Win it breaks Unigine Heaven 2.1 with tesselation and opengl. It even crashes hard. They fix DXVA2 for vlc 1.1.1 and introduce the biggest error possible.
    Do you think you could hack the Catalyst 10-7 video decode libs into Catalyst 10-6?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
    The Windows Catalyst driver supports Linux kernel and Xservers? Surely not?
    No, but there's a lot of shared code across OSes, including nearly all of the OpenGL stack.

Leave a comment:

• Vi0L0
    replied
    Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
    This is not surprising given that kernel 2.6.35 has not been released yet. Have you tested this? If so, could you let us know how you got it working? Many people would probably appreciate that information.
    Nice sarcasm ;P.
    Anyhow 10.7 is working fine with current 2.6.35-rc6 (btw patched 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 also works fine with any 2.6.35 RC), and if we can believe Linus words that there will be no main changes in RCs - then we can be sure that catalyst will work with final 2.6.35.

Leave a comment:

• mugginz
    replied
    Another issue.

So I have a full screen browser on each screen, then start Blender and hey presto, graphics glitches. Then when moving around the 3D view port it semi hangs the whole X session. I enough keyboard input to CTRL-ALT-F1 though.

At least I could "sudo restart gdm" from a text console to get to a functioning desktop again.

Looks like this is going to be an interesting release.

Leave a comment:

• madbiologist
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    The Windows driver does not have OpenGL ES 2.0 support yet but there is a beta driver avaible for that platform that supports it. Chances are it will come to Windows and Linux at the same time.

Also this driver supports Linux 2.6.34/2.6.35 and Xserver 1.8 (haven't tried 1.9).
    The Windows Catalyst driver supports Linux kernel and Xservers? Surely not?

As for the Linux Catalyst driver supporting kernel 2.6.34/2.6.35 and Xserver 1.8, there is no mention of this in the release notes. This is not surprising given that kernel 2.6.35 has not been released yet. Have you tested this? If so, could you let us know how you got it working? Many people would probably appreciate that information.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X