• Show
Clear All

Nope it does not

rmmod fglrx

you can be sure

Comment

Originally posted by mguiddy View Post
      Quitting X doesn't unload fglrx?
      I've upgraded fglrx dozens of time following the same procedure I did this time without any issue. Also switched from fglrx to radeon then back to fglrx the same way. I also upgraded my x server the same way. The only time I reboot is if I'm upgrading my kernel or something goes terribly wrong.
      We strongly recommend that you...

- uninstall the previous driver (details in the installation notes)
      - install the new driver (ditto)
      - run aticonfig --initial (with -f if you hand-tweaked the previous xorg.conf)

... *before* starting X for the first time. That's what the installation instructions call for and AFAIK it's the way all our testing is done.

You can skip some of the steps and get away with it sometimes, depending on what changed between the previous driver and the new one, but AFAIK your chances of success go up quite a bit if you follow all the recommended steps.
      Test signature

Comment

I tried rmmod fglrx before uninstalling/installing.
        Tried rebooting before/after installing.
        Still freezes the system after doing "startx".

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          i hope you buy it in a bundle with the physX(nvidia only) game metro and windows7(clousedsource os for a cloused source driver)

but hey win7 do have a nice UNIX compatible layer ;-)

Have fun in the Cloused and nvidia only world.
          Be careful. You shouldn't be down on one or the other. People could always bring up the Quack3 incident to talk trash against ATI.

I stayed away from ATI for almost ten years because of that one.

Neither of the big two have clean hands.

Comment

Running into this same x.org issue as mquiddy

Originally posted by mguiddy View Post
            I tried rmmod fglrx before uninstalling/installing.
            Tried rebooting before/after installing.
            Still freezes the system after doing "startx".
            I have the same issue, right up to the stops at atiddxpreinit stage. Same process. Remove old packages (in my case Slack), remove /etc/ati, rmmod fglrx, reboot. I switched over from 2.6.33-rc8 to 2.6.34.1 as well, ran the installer, generated new slack packages via ./ati-installer.sh 10.7 --listpkg (I need that first argument to run CLI or else it always prints an error and the help message).

I'm looking into it being my kernel itself, and am finally compiling 2.6.34.1. However, a clean kernel didn't seem to be an issue.

I haven't been able to run a fglrx driver in 2 versions... This is the first I've run into this particular complete X.org crash w/o any errors though.

Nothing, but

Code:
            (II) AMD Video driver is running on a device belonging to a group targeted for this release
            (II) AMD Video driver is signed
            (II) fglrx(0): pEnt->device->identifier=0x8992a10
            (II) fglrx(0): === [atiddxPreInit] === begin
            What's supposed to happen after this?

Comment

In my xorg.log (for 10.6 which works fine except the black box issue) the next few lines are
              Code:
              (II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
              (II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
              (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libvgahw.so
              (II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
              	compiled for 1.7.5, module version = 0.1.0
              	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
              (**) fglrx(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
              (II) fglrx(0): Pixel depth = 24 bits stored in 4 bytes (32 bpp pixmaps)

Comment

Easiest way to install/uninstall fglrx is to make a nice deb-package which is easy to uninstall. This is for Debian based distros OFC.

The clocks are throttled up way too much, even if just idling on desktop with 0% usage, the clocks spend half the time at 100%.
                This is precaution for multi display systems and prevents certain problems on secondary screens like blacking out. Unfortunately clocks stay high even with single display.
                One solution is to flash the desired frequencies to vga cards bios. (which I dont recommend novice users to do)

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  i hope you buy it in a bundle with the physX(nvidia only) game metro and windows7(clousedsource os for a cloused source driver)

but hey win7 do have a nice UNIX compatible layer ;-)

Have fun in the Cloused and nvidia only world.
                  No need to get agitated. I said "as well". For your reference, this means "in addition, also". Meaning I own a ATI 'as well'.

Comment

Not impressed with this release at all. On a laptop with Mobility Radeon HD4650.

I think 10.5 made huge strides towards 3D graphics and 10.6 made my desktop faster, but 10.7 has been a complete disaster for me so far.

At first I install it on my Ubuntu 10.04 x64 and it won't even work properly. Turns out I've been on holyday and thus not at the PC so I haven't updated. The newest driver doesn't support the kernel I used (.33 iirc) but after upgrading, it worked.

So I finally make it into Linux proper, and things seem alright.

Then I start a game, first one to get a hit is Starcraft 2.
                    The game doesn't render right. It displayed right for a little while but then the rendering breaks, causing the screen to look really weird. I don't even know how to explain it. You can still tell sortta what's on the screen, but it's all garbled up - except for 1/6th of the area to the left - that looks fine.
                    If you take a screenshot of it, it appears as if it's working fine.
                    For a brief moment I thought this wouldn't happen if I ran the game at 1024x768 (my native resolution is 1920x1080) but it does when I actually start the game.

I was using Wine 1.3.0.

Then I decided "okay maybe Wine just ain't working with Starcraft 2 yet" and shut it down. Then I started up World of Warcraft. That doesn't work either. The screen starts flickering between the background or something random and the game in OpenGL mode or just takes on really poor performance. The game becomes unplayable.

Then I try starting Heroes 5 and lo and behold - it does what Starcraft 2 does.

Skipping this release and reverting. I'm sorry but it just... blows.

Comment

Since apparently I can't edit the previous post, I'll just put my edit here.

It looks like this:

Except only on some of the screen.
                      Apparently this is described as "tearing" and there is a solution to it.
                      So... Im'ma try to use that. Reporting back shortly.

Comment

Working...
                      X