No announcement yet.

Here's The R600 Gallium3D Driver Running Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know. ATi stuff has had OpenGL 2 for a very long time, plus there is the entire power management stuff.

Comment

Gallium3D == OpenGL 2.1. Even r600g claims it supports that version...

Comment

well, i ve just upgraded to OS 11.2 and with the newer 2.6.34 kernel and its the first time i have had 2d/3d accelartion out of the box so to speak on my HD4830. i know im runningthe classic mesa driver and its so much faster starting X then the catalsyst although ut2004 is a little laggy. i think it will be better for bits from the r300 driver to be graffted on.

fingers crossed...........

Comment

I wouldn't say nouveau development is more active than ATI one, at least on the 3D side. nv50 seems to be the only nouveau driver being actively developed and it's basically a one man show (though the man is totally awesome).

nvfx (nv30/nv40) is currently dead, there is simply no developer which has time, knowledge, and hardware to be able to develop it. The driver is currently more or less broken and some very important fixes and improvements for it are spread across several branches in mesa git, in case anybody cares.

Wielkie G> Actually, no. You can even create an OpenGL 1.3 driver in Gallium.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            I don't know. ATi stuff has had OpenGL 2 for a very long time, plus there is the entire power management stuff.
            The opengl stuff isn't anything to do with ati or nvidia. It's done by an entirely different team from what I understand.
            I just checked it with wine today and unfortunately it's giving 2.1 support but it seems to be using software rasterizer under wine.

Comment

AMD

It is amazing to me that such huge corporation (AMD) cannot simply assign 30 or 40 developers to get job done FAST and then leave 4-5 to maintain quality. According to Google Finance AMD has 10649 employees. I guess 10647 of that number are taking care everything runs well on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by mirza View Post
                It is amazing to me that such huge corporation (AMD) cannot simply assign 30 or 40 developers to get job done FAST and then leave 4-5 to maintain quality. According to Google Finance AMD has 10649 employees. I guess 10647 of that number are taking care everything runs well on Windows.
                That number is mostly uninteresting because AMD is not a software-development company. The more interesting is how many full-time software developers they have.

Comment

It is amazing to me that such huge corporation (AMD) cannot simply assign 30 or 40 developers to get job done FAST
                  r600g is not a big collection of independent modules that can each be readily assigned to a different developer. Trying to split it up among 30 or 40 developers would probably make it take longer.

Comment

It is amazing to me that such huge corporation (AMD) cannot simply assign 30 or 40 developers to get job done FAST [..]
                    money-issues aside: project management simply doesn't work that way.
                    Even if you could find 30 or 40 developers with enough GPU knowledge, adding that amount of people would more likely stall development than speed it up. Dependencies (can't build the roof before the basement is done), coordination overhead, lengthy geek-discussions on how to do it "right", ...

Comment

IIRC, AMD is already allocating more devs to Linux drivers than Windows drivers when compared to the corresponding market share.

Still, the rate of development has slowed down somewhat since the latest batch of power management patches. For example, there has been no news on colour tiling (patches are still not in git). I guess that the Evergreen and r600g transition are soaking up all the available manpower.

Comment

Working...
                      X