ATI Gallium3D + Wine Is Bettered A Bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille View Post
    And this is an WINE bug not an Driver bug.
    Well, sort of. A good driver would be able to better handle the hardware limitations that are being hit by WINE. Even if it is doing things in a way that isn't very reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Why not? Personally speaking, I think these are some of the most interesting Phoronix articles. It's good to learn about progress on OpenGL support.
      Seconded. Real news based on facts, covering current development progress, which is basicaly the primary reason I track Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Seconded. Real news based on facts, covering current development progress, which is basicaly the primary reason I track Phoronix.
        Thirded. Especially when the extension in question is used by important/interesting software, like this one is in WINE. I don't think there are even that many left 3.x+ - maybe a couple dozen?

Comment

Fourted ;-) It is interesting as most people doesn't watch xorg/dri/mesa mailing lists.

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
            Fourted ;-) It is interesting as most people doesn't watch xorg/dri/mesa mailing lists.
            I second your fourted. :P

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
              Come on, we don't need an article for each single OGL extension implemented. There are how many? 5 hundreds? Do we need 5 hundred articles to report the progress?
              There are a small number of extensions missing between current drivers and full OpenGL 4 compliance (plus the GLSL updates)

These extensions are not easy to implement, but there are not that many of them. Each one of them brings us closer to OpenGL 3/4 support in Mesa.

I know that you don't care about open source implementations of OpenGL, only binary vendor drivers, but many of us do. When Mesa can do OpenGL 4, it will be a great day.

Comment

Actually I think stabilizing the current level of support (OpenGL 2.1) and improving performance is more important than full support for OpenGL 4.0 on paper.

Comment

Agreed, but one does not preclude the other.

Especially since r300g can't do higher than 2.1 anyway, as the hardware does not support it.

Also, many extensions need general Mesa work, which is shared between all drivers.

Comment

IMO it's Wine's fault; since when is it good behavior of an app to depend on a particular compiler optimization?

Comment

The more advanced Gallium3d is the more likely that Intel will switch their drivers over to it. That would provide a nice increase in economies of scale.

Comment

Working...
                      X