Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marek View Post
    There is, namely:
    Michael should really be running xf86-video-ati and libdrm from git and latest kernel-rcX, otherwise the perfomance will continue to suck in his articles.

There are performance gains and there will be more as time goes by, but the majority of them will be disabled with old kernels and DDX drivers.

In other words, another crappy article.
    Why not get those optimizations to stable releases then? It's what 98% of users will be running anyway.

Sure though, the article would've been more interesting with master everything as one more comparison target.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
      If someone would like to donate money for improving the OSS ATI drivers where would it be best donated?
      It would be quite interesting to see if it was possible to fund someone to work (full or half-time) on the radeon drivers (or something related, like documentation) by way of donations.

I guess the biggest problem would be to find someone to handle the paperwork :/

Comment

You could organise a fund raising campaign to pay someone to handle the paperwork to do the fund raising campaign to pay someone to write the drivers.

But I guess the biggest problem would be find someone to handle the paperwork.

Comment

Heh, easier to just kidnap an accountant

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
            It would be quite interesting to see if it was possible to fund someone to work (full or half-time) on the radeon drivers (or something related, like documentation) by way of donations.

I guess the biggest problem would be to find someone to handle the paperwork :/
            I was guessing organisations like the X.org foundation already had employees for moving such paperwork...

That said, since money doesn't seem to be te problem, it is useless to start a donation.

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
              I speak for myself: I wanted to help, really, but GNU (L)GPL only code for me. My code would have been trashed.
              I'm glad most developers don't care about license "religion" bullshit.

And whatever, I have had no brain time to code anything, and if one day I do, I will fork as I do not agree at all on the design goals.
              What a waste of time and manpower.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                Hmm, do you have any statistics about that ?

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                  Please speak for only yourself, brent. There are developers that DO care about the License because it DOES matter. I just pick and choose my battles, unlike some. If it didn't truly matter, why is *BSD not more popular than Linux? It had the head start, you know...

What a waste of time and manpower.
                  You sure about that? Tannenbaum effectively said the same thing about Linux... The *BSD crowd clearly had the same opinion, as does the FSF when you get down to brass tacks (HURD?). In the end, what happened?

You can't tell what is/isn't a waste of time and manpower until after it's been a waste for a while...

Comment

There are complaints about manpower, but when people want to adres this problem by laying out the driver independant groundwork that is going to ensure more development efficiency per man hour it aint good either.

Get a grip...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      There are developers that DO care about the License because it DOES matter. I just pick and choose my battles, unlike some. If it didn't truly matter, why is *BSD not more popular than Linux? It had the head start, you know...
                      Of course licenses matter, unfortunately. We don't need license wars, though. BSDL is fine for many projects (and might be bad for some), the same is valid for (L)GPL. But there's no One True License and no need to be fanatic about certain licenses.

You sure about that? Tannenbaum effectively said the same thing about Linux...
                      Uhm, I was referring to sylware's plan to fork G3D or whatever. That would be pointless. Linux development is already much more fragmented than is healthy.

Comment

Working...
                      X