A New Release Of The AMD XvBA Back-End To VA-API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
    DISCLAIMER: I skipped most of the previous posts in this thread.

Now let me get this straight: There's a XvBA, which can forward to VA-API, which can forward to VDPAU?

* Shoots self. *
    I think it's more something like.

Code:
    GStreamer --|              |--> Intel hardware
    Mplayer   --|-->  VA-API --|--> XvBA  --> ATI driver
    ...       --|              |--> VDPAU --> NVidia drivers

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      I think it's more something like.

Code:
      GStreamer --|              |--> Intel hardware
      Mplayer   --|-->  VA-API --|--> XvBA  --> ATI driver
      ...       --|              |--> VDPAU --> NVidia drivers
      Exactly. The (non exhaustive) list of media players and VA drivers can be found at: http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
        What is the outcome of the following?

GST_DEBUG=vaapi:5,vaapidecode:5,vaapisink:5 gst-launch -v filesrc location=/path/to/some/video.mp4 ! qtdemux ! vaapidecode ! vaapisink
        I don't know if you need the very beginning, but a lot of this flies by on the terminal (I included some extra diagnostics at the end): http://pastebin.com/hqRf0M2z

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          I don't know if you need the very beginning, but a lot of this flies by on the terminal (I included some extra diagnostics at the end): http://pastebin.com/hqRf0M2z
          OK, it seems your copy of FFmpeg is not built with VA-API support. You probably built it locally but the system (non VA-API enabled) version is still used. To confirm, you can try hwdecode-demos: http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbe...wdecode-demos/

$ ffmpeg_h264 --hwaccel vaapi

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            Oh yeah great, a proprietary 'solution' for a proprietary problem that is the current FLOSS state and one that will only be used for a limited period of time.

*Yaaaaaaawn*

Of course people 'need' this functionality because without it Linux isn't viable <_<'
            I "need" this functionality because my notebook GPU needs a purpose.
            Linux is still viable to me because it is the only OS that I choose to run. I do not wish to debate proprietary vs open-source, because both have their positives and negatives. VA-API just happens to be the proprietary driver's positive features, despite its inherent flaws.

Comment

vlc git now shows something. the problem is that when gl output is used it is a bit too slow when gl is set to vsync via amdcccle. that results in curruption when live tv is watched. xv/default is accellerated but has tearing. but some never notice tearing - i definitely see it with my 4550...

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                OK, it seems your copy of FFmpeg is not built with VA-API support. You probably built it locally but the system (non VA-API enabled)
                I removed the system's ffpmeg/libav* packages before beginning. I even removed and rebuilt x264 and ffmpeg tonight to be sure.
                Code:
                $ ffmpeg
                FFmpeg version SVN-r24208, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
                  built on Jul 11 2010 22:30:10 with gcc 4.4.3
                  configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab --enable-shared --enable-pic
                  libavutil     50.22. 0 / 50.22. 0
                  libavcodec    52.83. 0 / 52.83. 0
                  libavformat   52.73. 0 / 52.73. 0
                  libavdevice   52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
                  libavfilter    1.22. 0 /  1.22. 0
                  libswscale     0.11. 0 /  0.11. 0
                  libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
                Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder

$ ffmpeg_h264 --hwaccel vaapi
                Display type 'x11'
                Hardware accelerator 'vaapi'
                [hwdecode_demos] VA display 0x24d09e0
                libva: libva version 0.31.1-sds1
                Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
                libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
                libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
                libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
                [hwdecode_demos] VA API version 0.31
                [hwdecode_demos] 6 display attributes available
                [hwdecode_demos]   VADisplayAttribDirectSurface     (get/---) min 0 max 0 value 0x0
                [hwdecode_demos]   VADisplayAttribBackgroundColor   (get/set) min 0 max 16777215 value 0xffffff
                [hwdecode_demos]   VADisplayAttribBrightness        (get/set) min -100 max 100 value 0x0
                [hwdecode_demos]   VADisplayAttribContrast          (get/set) min -100 max 100 value 0x0
                [hwdecode_demos]   VADisplayAttribHue               (get/set) min -100 max 100 value 0x0
                [hwdecode_demos]   VADisplayAttribSaturation        (get/set) min -100 max 100 value 0x0
                Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '':
                  Metadata:
                    major_brand     : isom
                    minor_version   : 512
                    compatible_brands: isomiso2avc1mp41
                    encoder         : Lavf52.32.0
                  Duration: 00:00:00.08, start: 0.000000, bitrate: N/A
                    Stream #0.0(und): Video: h264, yuv420p, 320x240 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], 1159 kb/s, 12 fps, 12 tbr, 12 tbn, 24 tbc
                [hwdecode_demos] Decoded surface size: 320x240
                [hwdecode_demos] 4 profiles available
                [hwdecode_demos]   VAProfileMPEG2Simple
                [hwdecode_demos]   VAProfileMPEG2Main
                [hwdecode_demos]   VAProfileH264High
                [hwdecode_demos]   VAProfileVC1Advanced
                [hwdecode_demos] 1 entrypoints available for VAProfileH264High
                [hwdecode_demos]   VAEntrypointVLD
                press any key to exit
                Since mplayer and the hwdecode demos work, I may just need to build gstreamer-ffmpeg myself. I'll report back when I do that (tomorrow). Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  vlc git now shows something. the problem is that when gl output is used it is a bit too slow when gl is set to vsync via amdcccle. that results in curruption when live tv is watched. xv/default is accellerated but has tearing. but some never notice tearing - i definitely see it with my 4550...
                  Those problems in VLC are *not* related at all to VA-API. Check with them.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Since mplayer and the hwdecode demos work, I may just need to build gstreamer-ffmpeg myself. I'll report back when I do that (tomorrow). Thanks.
                    Note that gstreamer-ffmpeg is not used by gstreamer-vaapi. You definitely have a build problem. You will have to check your config log and see what FFmpeg is used.

Comment

@gbeauche

That might be true but it is just less usefull currently.

Comment

Working...
                      X