890GX/HD4290 dual display question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Care to point out the internal display: http://www.giga-byte.com/products/pr....aspx?pid=3516
    Well, duh. I blame the rampant heat for my misjudgement. And Al Gore.

yeah, passive DP->DVI/HDMI adapters seem to work fine in such cases. They're cheap enough, and you'll be ready for the next monitor upgrade.

Comment

Excellent, thanks everybody.

I've got an order in for;
      Buy ECS Black Series A890GXM-A AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s ATX Motherboard with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Buy OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1600LV4GK with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Buy Nippon Labs DP-DVI-25MF 9.84 in. DP DisplayPort Male to DVI-D Female Adapter Cable, White with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

And have a 1090T already sitting on my desk

Comment

Has anybody noticed that 1090T ships with the world's worst cooling fan? The stupid thing makes high-pitched "capacitor about to blow" noises and sounds like a cheap vacuum cleaner.

Its a good thing that the chip works. And does it ever work!

Anyhow, got the machine mostly together. Stuck on one monitor for the time being since newegg decided to ship the DP->DVI adapter from LA to Toronto on the back of a drunken tortoise apparently. The mainboard shipped from New Jersey and the RAM straight from Toronto. You'd think that they would be smart enough to keep a fairly consistent stock in each of their major depots so they could ship everything in one box as efficiently as possible. I think next time I'll pay the extra $20-$50 to buy from a local store.

Going to stop by a local store tonight to pick up a decent cooling fan. Something with a huge slow quiet fan, something like this: http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Pr...ad.asp?idx=378

Comment

Just a heads up, you may need this patch:

to use the DP port in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            Excellent, thank you. You certainly saved me several hours of bashing my head against a wall.

Comment

Ah. building building building... I'm getting impatient...

Comment

Ok, its not working.
                So now I'm left with a problem.

Verified that the DP->DVI adapter is good on a different machine with a DP. After enabling DP in the bios on that board, it works fine.

Now on this one, there is NO OPTION in the bios to enable DP, so presumably it "just works".... but it also doesn't POST to DP on this one.... and of course, I don't even know if it SHOULD.

My next concern is whether or not the kernel works properly. I patched the stock Fedora 13 kernel 2.6.33.6 -- should that work? Or did I just waste my time on that when I really need something newer?

Comment

When it is the only monitor connected to DP then you must get a POST screen, otherwise you can skip all other tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    When it is the only monitor connected to DP then you must get a POST screen, otherwise you can skip all other tests.
                    Damn, so that means that the board isn't working. Even when it is the only thing connected, it'll never show anything.

Comment

Well, I'm not giving up on this just yet.

The main questions I'm thinking about are these;
                      1) What are the REAL chances that the ONLY thing that really drew me to this board is the ONLY thing that doesn't work on it?
                      2) I know that everything starting from the DP->DVI adapter and outwards *definitely* works.

So I'm going to try a couple of crazy things;
                      linux-next
                      windeath7 (it makes me shiver just typing that...)

already tried windeathxp, but surprise surprise, it crashes when I try to install catalyst. I wonder where windeath7 will crash....?

Comment

Working...
                      X