X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    I never ever ran aticonfig --initial, any sane xorg.conf with
    Driver "fglrx"
    should do. But it is very important to remove all traces of the previous driver: shut down X, modprobe -r fglrx, remove all files (including /etc/ati/ and /lib/modules/*/video/fglrx). Using a good package manager instead of AMD's installer is preferable because it keeps track of the installed files and can remove them for you (gentoo's portage is good, I don't know about others).

The reboot isn't needed either, but it's simpler than manually shutting down X and removing the kernel module.
    /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh is pretty much removed everything

Comment

I saw that on boards with 890GX the 10-5 and 10-6 drivers just crash with onboard vga and also using dedicated ati card. I hope that 10-7 will be out soon - 10-6 did not help anything in that case - best prepare hotfix driver, that's really annonying!

Comment

unlucky

Still no luck with nforce 430 chipset. Blank screen for the win

Comment

and that it's actually drived from their Windows' Direct2D code
          I guess this was supposed to be derived?

Comment

Either way, it's wrong. They merely re-used a direct2D-related key to enable the new 2d acceleration code on previous releases, which made it sound like it's D2D-related. It's not.

Comment

After installing 10.6 same here:
              Backtrace:
              0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x28) [0x4a3238]
              [...]
              Segmentation fault at address (nil)
              on
              . Linux thinktank 2.6.32-22-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 3 19:31:57 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
              . Ubuntu 10.04, x86_64, w/ latest updates
              . Radeon Mobility HD 3400

However as posted before:
              $ sudo aticonfig --initial --force

fixed this problem. Thanks!

Comment

The fix for this segfault issue is very easy. U must have BusID line in your xorg.conf. U can check your vga id using lspci. I wonder will ati ever fix nforce4 chipset problem? I mean seriously what the hell, every release since cat 9.8 is not working. Like in whole world there are only few people who have motherboard with nvidia nforce430 chipset and ati vga? It would be very nice if someone from amd/ati could check this bug http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1794 and this http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1700

Comment

7oby, same question - are you saying that aticonfig --initial did not work but aticonfig --initial --force did work ?

Thanks,
                  John
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by AnorexiasGrizzli View Post
                    /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh is pretty much removed everything
                    I was about to ask why is to so difficult to completely remove fglrx drivers from ubuntu until I saw this post I don't have fglrx, but i just wanted to know for general knowledge.

What does the aticonfig commands do exactly? Why are they so necessary? This is not user friendly at all lol. With windows i just install and it overwrites whatever and i'm done. Shouldn't ubuntu (who prides themselves on user friendliness) be that simple as well? who's fault is this?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      7oby, same question - are you saying that aticonfig --initial did not work but aticonfig --initial --force
                      I didn't try without --force parameter in the first place and thus can't tell.

Comment

Working...
                      X