No announcement yet.

ati catalyst 10.6 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were already running a patched X server (with the backclear patch) you probably wouldn't notice much difference with the 2D code. The big deal is that you don't need a patched X server any more.

I don't think 10.6 changes anything w.r.t. tearing - the key point is that it didn't make a lot of sense to work on tearing in the old accel framework; once we finish rolling out the new accel framework (still some work to do) then at least we have a decent starting point for looking at video tearing.

In the meantime, we still recommend the use of GL output rather than Xv for video.
    Test signature

Comment

• @bridgman, are you aware of any possible resolution for the lack of vsync for GL output with an Evergreen card, 10.6 and multi-monitors?

Also, do you know if this is a universal issue for multi-monitor configs or just affecting some users?

Comment

• Quick answer is "I don't know anything about the vsync implementation on fglrx".

I'll ask, but not until I get a bit less busy.
        Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I'll ask, but not until I get a bit less busy.
          Excellent. Thanks for that.

Comment

• What I liked about the 10.6 release is it came just a few weeks after 10.5. I hope the same for 10.7 (maybe before World Cup finals?). One can only hope

Comment

• So you like to get 12 driver releases a year? Wow, that's something the Linux world needs. A fixed release day is basically no requirement for a driver, however a driver should be as bugfree as possible and support at least all current kernel/xservers without patching, but that development goal is far away for fglrx. 10-6 even missed a 1 liner to support 2.6.34 out of the box - is that normal?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
                So you like to get 12 driver releases a year? Wow, that's something the Linux world needs. A fixed release day is basically no requirement for a driver, however a driver should be as bugfree as possible and support at least all current kernel/xservers without patching, but that development goal is far away for fglrx. 10-6 even missed a 1 liner to support 2.6.34 out of the box - is that normal?
                What I really meant is if they fixed some important issue like tear-free multi-monitor support or just tearing, why wait months before getting one's hands on these fixes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  So you like to get 12 driver releases a year? Wow, that's something the Linux world needs. A fixed release day is basically no requirement for a driver, however a driver should be as bugfree as possible and support at least all current kernel/xservers without patching, but that development goal is far away for fglrx. 10-6 even missed a 1 liner to support 2.6.34 out of the box - is that normal?
                  actually most users benefit from a monthly driver release. It enables them to get their hands on every month of progress. Although I don't like every release... I do like the release planning.

Don't think that "bugfree as possible" and "support for latest kernel/xservers" would be a realistic requirement. Working on such a project would be an utopia

Comment

• The differences are just too small for monthly releases. Often you get a new driver with absolutely no diff to the one before. Maybe 1 pci id more or so. Nv times new releases when new products are out, new kernels, new xservers. That's definitely better.

Comment

• Well, we've been criticizing AMD/ATI for ages now about this, but they've repeatedly told us that they simply don't give a **** about recent X and kernels. They only care about supported distros (and then only with their default settings and packages; tweakers should go screw themselves) not Linux in general.

So you can talk and talk all day long. They simply, and officially, don't care about this.

Comment

Working...
                      X