AMD Continues Updating Its R500 Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Dieter.
    I asked if DRM could be handeled in software shaders to which Bridgam replied that the DRM should be processed unencrypted throughout the entire device, so l2read...

Comment

Wow, I'm sure glad this thread stayed on-topic!

You don't need video decoding to be fully on-the-GPU. Using shaders to accelerate part of the video decoding is already done in Gallium and as soon as the rest of the glue is written you will probably see something along the lines of Theora on VDPAU in Fedora.

Also, I'm curious as to what the "OMG I MUST HAEV TEH FOLSS GPU VIDEO DECODES" gentlemen are buying, in terms of graphics cards, and whether they would consider sending me one.

Comment

Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post

You don't need video decoding to be fully on-the-GPU. Using shaders to accelerate part of the video decoding is already done in Gallium and as soon as the rest of the glue is written you will probably see something along the lines of Theora on VDPAU in Fedora.

Also, I'm curious as to what the "OMG I MUST HAEV TEH FOLSS GPU VIDEO DECODES" gentlemen are buying, in terms of graphics cards, and whether they would consider sending me one.
        *You read a sign that says: "Warning! Do not feed the pho tr?lls!"

As for the hardware, I'd help if I could but I only have a 4200 IGP and I need my PC.

Comment

What do you need and in which country do you live in?

Comment

Theora? Isn't that going to be dead soon?

The ones who can't wait are buying broadcom hardware...

Comment

One advantage to shader based video decode is that it can be extended to support lots of new formats pretty easily while fixed function hardware is generally limited to a specific set.

Comment

AA

Does this documentation mean we're a step closer to getting FSAA support in the open source drivers?

Comment

> One advantage to shader based video decode is that it can be
                  > extended to support lots of new formats pretty easily while
                  > fixed function hardware is generally limited to a specific set.

I suspect it will be a long time before broadcasters switch from
                  mpeg2 transport stream, given the huge installed base of hardware
                  mpeg2ts decoders. Are they even allowed to use a different codec
                  or do they need permission from the FCC (or equivalent)?

Similar issue for DVD and BluRay.

Most web sites don't care about standards, so those with T1 lines
                  can deal with the codec du jour.

For programming up the codec du jour, wouldn't DSP be a better
                  way to go than shaders?

But to get back on topic, when can we expect the documentation to be complete?

Comment

Depends on what you mean by complete. I don't think we have any more documentation in the pipe for 5xx and earlier so I guess you could say it's complete now.

The new documentation should halp with implementation of MSAA.

DSPs would be OK for implementing codec du jour except there aren't any DSPs in a typical PC system while there are usually is a pile of shader engines.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
                      What do you need and in which country do you live in?
                      http://www.x.org/wiki/CorbinSimpson lists the cards I have. Feel free to send me cards I don't have, but I make no guarantees about what I do with them. :3

In all seriousness, I was referring to the idea that there might be GPUs out there that have full-on MPEG-4 decoding onboard, that are fully supported by some open driver. </thatsthejoke>

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
                      Does this documentation mean we're a step closer to getting FSAA support in the open source drivers?
                      Yes! Somebody read the article!

I have a series of patches that does MSAA on r300-r500 for Gallium, and I'll merge that as soon as it works correctly. Also, SSAA will be trivial in Gallium; somebody just has to write up a bit of glue and add support for the SSAA extension in GL. (And also maaaaybe extend DRI/GLX. Ugh.) FSAA might be tricker, depending on exactly how the HW works. Supposedly, it's in r300-r500, but I haven't quite confirmed. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if the code I have right now is MSAA or FSAA. Figures.

Comment

Working...
                      X