10.5 is out. come and get it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
    It should have "neared usable level" years ago. Its still miles and miles away from the windows driver. I'd be happy if it was even half as good as the windows driver. I expect to at least get usable performance and compositing/videos without tearing. The only thing it does decently is power management, i'll give it that.

Their bad reputation for linux drivers is still well deserved until we get an actual good driver. And don't get me wrong I do not hate ati, all my video cards are ati and they work flawlessly in windows, but in linux its pathetic.

And offtopic, SERIOUSLY WTF IS UP WITH THE ONE MINUTE EDIT LIMIT ON THESE FORUMS ITS MORONIC /rant
    Uh, what (other than apparent compositing+video, which I can't comment on as I don't use it) is wrong with the fglrx driver?
    I should also note that the opengl codebase is shared between linux and windows, so they have comparable performances there.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
      Uh, what (other than apparent compositing+video, which I can't comment on as I don't use it) is wrong with the fglrx driver?
      I should also note that the opengl codebase is shared between linux and windows, so they have comparable performances there.

For me at least, inconsistent compositing (ever try resizing a window in KDE?) plus the lack of hardware acceleration with DVD playback is killer.

What's the point of buying a high-powered graphics card at a high price (in my case, $160 for the 5770) if I can't use it in Linux with the same functionality as Windows? It's SO frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by WildcatWhiz View Post
        For me at least, inconsistent compositing (ever try resizing a window in KDE?) plus the lack of hardware acceleration with DVD playback is killer.

What's the point of buying a high-powered graphics card at a high price (in my case, $160 for the 5770) if I can't use it in Linux with the same functionality as Windows? It's SO frustrating.
        WHO NEEDS DVD ACCELERATION WHO HAS A 5770?!? DVD unaccelerated should take about 10% CPU on anything halfway modern. You clearly don't know what you are talking about, where that is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
          WHO NEEDS DVD ACCELERATION WHO HAS A 5770?!? DVD unaccelerated should take about 10% CPU on anything halfway modern. You clearly don't know what you are talking about, where that is concerned.
          Really? That's odd. I have a quad core Phenom and I get consistent tearing when rendering is done on the CPU. Didn't happen when I had an Nvidia card installed, which rendered on the GPU.

Please don't make wild belittling statements like that. I know a great deal about what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by WildcatWhiz View Post

Ok, that's more like it!
            Although, I think the Linux drivers (fglrx, not open source) do support some video accel, but of course the dvd player has to support it too.
            Unfortunately, no, never tried window resizing in KDE - but that's mainly because I don't use it. E16 & E17 user here.
            If you get tearing issues, try an opengl renderer with vysnc enabled. Works for me at any rate.

Comment

Where do said logs, postings, and bug reports belong? Lead me to water, for I wish to gulp (and get my issue solved!).

Comment

Originally posted by noobish View Post
                Where do said logs, postings, and bug reports belong? Lead me to water, for I wish to gulp (and get my issue solved!).
                Grr... edit time limit!

This was directed at bridgman's comment on page 8.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                  fglrx drivers still carry the bad reputation from a few years ago. Some people have blinders on and refuse to see anything different.
                  Oh well.
                  This. This in so many ways.

Beyond some frustratingly poor performance in certain Wine games I have no reason to complain about 10.5 at all. Works like a charm.

To the ATi developer in here (thanks for stopping by btw! ) please take a look at ATi Mobility Radeon HD4650, World of Warcraft, Wine and Direct3D.

It could be a Wine bug, but I really don't think so. Basically FPS is like 50+ but when I turn around it quickly goes down to 2-3 FPS and then straight back up. It's not actually a big problem unless I try to do competitive PvP, but it is annoying no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish View Post
                    http://ati.cchtml.com/

but that unfortunately seems to be down right now

Mr. Bridgman any ideas ?

I know that bugtracker is unofficial but shutting down the only direct access line to the fglrx developers is ... sad

Comment

The tracker does get shut down for maintenance periodically (last time was a few months ago IIRC). I'm not sure if that qualifies as "sad", though....
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X