X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    noobish

• noobish
    replied
    Just noticed there's a new fglrx build in 6 hours with this in the log: "Add patch from Arch to enable support for 2.6.34 kernels." so maybe I try again in the morning.

Btw what fix from above are you talking about?

Leave a comment:

• noobish

• noobish
    replied
    Originally posted by TheWretched View Post
    You use Ubuntu 10.4, I believe? You can try what I did... (64bit too)

Install it freshly from ISO, use X-Swat repository below:
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

And use the fix from above!

Maybe it helps!
    Yes, I'm using 10.04 64. I did a fresh install and added the ppa for x-swat. Marked fglrx, amdcccle, modaliases, and all the other associated packages for upgrade. fglrx and amdcccle failed complaining about not being able to apply the arch_fglrx_2.6.34.patch. Was able to resolve that from here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1496724

But now I get:
    Code:
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.34-020634-generic (x86_64)
    Consult the make.log in the build directory
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.732/build/ for more information.
    The make.log file:
    Code:
    DKMS make.log for fglrx-8.732 for kernel 2.6.34-020634-generic (x86_64)
    Fri Jun  4 03:18:58 PDT 2010
    AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
    cat: /lib/modules/2.6.34-020634-generic/build/include/linux/utsrelease.h: No such file or directory
    Error:
    kernel includes at /lib/modules/2.6.34-020634-generic/build/include do not match current kernel.
    they are versioned as ""
    instead of "2.6.34-020634-generic".
    you might need to adjust your symlinks:
    - /usr/include
    - /usr/src/linux
    Really freaking strange, because uname -a matches that kernel number and the kernel and headers installs went off without a hitch.

Did you run into any of these issues? If so, how did you fix them?

Leave a comment:

• Hans

• Hans
    replied
    Originally posted by Panix View Post
    What happens if you try to use VLC for your video player?
    Just tried it. Doesn't work. I get tearing.
    I have only had success with mplayer.

Leave a comment:

• Panix

• Panix
    replied
    What happens if you try to use VLC for your video player?

Leave a comment:

• Hans

• Hans
    replied
    Originally posted by WildcatWhiz View Post
    You, my friend, are on. I'm trying this tonight!
    Oh and btw. I am able to use gmplayer as a frontend to mplayer also. It still renders through mplayer.

Leave a comment:

• WildcatWhiz

• WildcatWhiz
    replied
    Originally posted by Hans View Post
    With a hd4650 mobility.
    It is very important to use mplayer, which is the only media player i know of, that makes fglrx render the video in a direct rendered window instead of in a indirect rendered window (you will get tearing).

Also should be noted, that you have to enable vsync always through amdcccle.
    You, my friend, are on. I'm trying this tonight!

Leave a comment:

• Hans

• Hans
    replied
    With what card?
    With a hd4650 mobility.
    It is very important to use mplayer, which is the only media player i know of, that makes fglrx render the video in a direct rendered window instead of in a indirect rendered window (you will get tearing).

Also should be noted, that you have to enable vsync always through amdcccle.

Leave a comment:

• WildcatWhiz

• WildcatWhiz
    replied
    Originally posted by Hans View Post
    compiz + opengl + mplayer works without tearing. And yes, it works with compositing on.
    With what card?

Leave a comment:

• Hans

• Hans
    replied
    compiz + opengl + mplayer works without tearing. And yes, it works with compositing on.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    My apologies if we've been getting into a flame war. I'd advise you to be careful about calling people "noobs". It's very demeaning.

MAN I wish I knew that feature wasn't support in Linux before I bought the card. I feel like such a schmuck for not doing my research.

So what I've come to understand is that my tearing problem is related to the fact that I'm using a compositor, whether it be Kwin or Compiz.

(If any ATI developers out there are listening) My wishlist for improved features would be:

*Vsync that works when a compositor is enabled.
    *GPU-accelerated video playback. I know I know, modern CPUs can do just fine. But it's nice to know that my beast of a card is being put to good use (that's what I bought it for, right ) and my CPU can happily process other tasks.
    If ATI doesn't provide perhaps the Radeon driver will. Although, it has some time to go, especially on the 5xxx series.

Personally, I would get a 5xxx series card over an Nvidia anyday. Despite crappy drivers, ATI seems to be a far less evil company... Not only that but I prefer my GPU not run at 93 C...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X